Hi all, I'm new here. I picked up a Tissot Navigator dive watch model 44940 recently with a 2481 movement. This movement normally has a quick set date where pushing the crown will advance the date. But this model has a screw down crown and doesn't have a quick set date, though the movement is a 2481. I'm told that they deleted that feature in order to accommodate the screw down feature.

Before I understood this I was careless and tried pulling the crown out further, thinking the date may be quickset in the outermost position. I was careless and probably pulled too hard, as something seemed to give and now the crown/stem is loose and doesn't work well. I can see that It's still intact if I remove it so something inside the movement must've given. 

I'm a hobbyist and not skilled enough to repair this movement to this extent yet, though I can replace a movement. But a Tissot collector has told me that he thinks a part is removed from the 2481 by Tissot in order for them to use it in a watch with a screw down crown. If that's true then I can't just replace this movement with the same movement from a donor watch without a screw down crown (which is about all that's available from sellers). Can anyone offer any advice on this (apart from me sending it to my watch guy)? I appreciate any advice.

34 minutes ago, Beto said:

Hi all, I'm new here. I picked up a Tissot Navigator dive watch model 44940 recently with a 2481 movement. This movement normally has a quick set date where pushing the crown will advance the date. But this model has a screw down crown and doesn't have a quick set date, though the movement is a 2481. I'm told that they deleted that feature in order to accommodate the screw down feature.

Before I understood this I was careless and tried pulling the crown out further, thinking the date may be quickset in the outermost position. I was careless and probably pulled too hard, as something seemed to give and now the crown/stem is loose and doesn't work well. I can see that It's still intact if I remove it so something inside the movement must've given. 

I'm a hobbyist and not skilled enough to repair this movement to this extent yet, though I can replace a movement. But a Tissot collector has told me that he thinks a part is removed from the 2481 by Tissot in order for them to use it in a watch with a screw down crown. If that's true then I can't just replace this movement with the same movement from a donor watch without a screw down crown (which is about all that's available from sellers). Can anyone offer any advice on this (apart from me sending it to my watch guy)? I appreciate any advice.

It seems a bit extreme to replace the movement because a broken part. It may be by your description that the setting lever spring has broken. I'm guessing the winding stem still moves from winding mode to hand setting without the click between those two positions. If not could you explain a little more what the problem is?

Date complication must be removed to get to the keyless.

A datasheet for this caliber might be availble , you can also take picture as you disassemble the date complication, we are also here to work with you to get your watch fixed.

There is no need to replace the whole movement.

Good luck

12 hours ago, Beto said:

2481 movement

11 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

A datasheet for this caliber might be availble

there doesn't appear to be sort of a technical sheet. There is a cross reference sheet which I'll attach

then there's this amusing link? what makes this watch it arresting is it's equivalent to an Omega watch for which I have attached the tech sheet.

https://thewatchspotblog.com/tissot-seamaster-automatic/

344_Tissot 2451, 2461, 2481, 2531.pdf omega 1480_1481_complet_3341.pdf

Thanks for all this. Yes, this is the same as the Omega 1481. The reason I planned to replace the movement is because there are some available cheaply (~$120) and I'm able to actually do the swap myself. A complete service would cost more than double that and that's before having to source parts. These replacement movements most likely also need servicing but that's fine with me, at least it'd be serviceable. It's impractical for me to have all my watches serviced just for the next guy (who usually doesn't put much value on that), especially considering I'll rarely wear these. And if I do decide to have it serviced I'd have some parts avail from the extra movement.

This particular example has lots of wear and much of the dial paint missing. The bezel was also frozen so I got it cheaply. I still really like the watch though, and have fixed the bezel. I'll get some photos here. The dial text, indices, and hands are all great and it has the original signed crown and a great acrylic pepsi bezel. No bracelet though.

Having the extra movement will also allow me to refer to it, and as a source of parts that ping off and evaporate in the air. I'll take lots of photos. Working on making a parts catching wall around my work space!

Jon, your assessment may be right as the crown behaves as you describe. It's going to be a bit before I'm able to perform any more work on this but I'll be checking in. Thanks again all for the help!

Here's some pics. What the crown does in any position seems completely random. It screws down fine, though to engage the threads you push the crown all the way against the case and then rotate. When unscrewing, the 1st position it springs out to can allow for setting the hands, but that can slip. This position can also wind, or just freely spin. There's a position between the 2 unscrewed positions shown that can wind the watch, or spin freely. Mostly in either of these positions it just spins freely with no resistance. Pulling to the outermost position, which can be easily done, brings the crown out beyond the tube where it won't rotate. But the whole movement can be moved around slightly by moving the crown back and forth in this position.

002.thumb.jpg.5497c428e9611fef9761231a43ce16eb.jpg

003.thumb.jpg.8dbb0c7c2bf420727524513c4ed98f77.jpg

004.thumb.jpg.1b0134363d106ff1d509794bd46183f9.jpg

The Omega Technical guide provided above by JohnR725 contained valuable info that I couldn't find elsewhere. Having viewed that along with several videos, I feel I can tackle servicing the keyless works in my movement. It's in pristine condition so I agree that servicing this is favorable to replacing it. It'll be awhile but I'll report back.

My Thoughts:

I think the winding stem has been pulled out and away from the setting lever pin.

You could remove the stem from the movement and re-fit it, I have done a Tissot 2481 and from memory it is a push release rather than a screw.

But most likely the the yoke has come out of the slot in the clutch wheel which would cause the issues listed.

Either way its dial of to fix the problem 

Just a correction to my previous post:

Couldn't edit my post

# The dial does not have to come off, just to remove and replace the stem #

Tissot A.jpg

• Like 1

You mean dial "off"? Yes. I have actually had the stem out, and it looks fine. Unfortunately re-inserting it didn't remedy anything. It'll be interesting to see what I find. I'm sure the yoke is out, and possibly more....

Just on a side note:

There is a Tissot Navigator for sale on the Australian eBay site for $2050.00 Australian Dollars if they are truly worth that much coin, it may pay to think carefully how you proceed next !!

It shows that it is fitted with a Tissot 784-2 Movement (no quickset date listed on calibre corner)

CJ

3 minutes ago, Curare said:

There is a Tissot Navigator for sale on the Australian eBay site for $2050.00 Australian Dollars if they are truly worth that much coin, it may pay to think carefully how you proceed next !!

Same caliber is in Omega, certainly a luxury watch.

$120 is a low price for the donor movement, but how would beto know the donor movement is in better shape than the one already in his watch.

Indeed, my movement looks better than any I've seen offered. Even though the sellers have said that their movements function normally (of the 2 I've asked about) I intend to tackle the repair myself. Curare, the dial will have to come off to repair it.

The Navigator on the Aussie site appears to be a mashup of at least 3 different Tissot watches.

Hi Beto, 

HSL a knowledgable horologist, doesn't visit WRT website as often as he used to, rest assured his advice is solid.

Google bring you  more useful  thread  posted on WRT relevent to the subject. 

Members will join in discussion as its now getting to spotting the fault in your watch.

Rgds

Yes, members here have been very helpful already! This has prompted me to actually attack this job myself instead of just replacing the movement. I wish I could do it right now, but I can't get to this until later this month. Looking forward to it. Thanks Nucejoe.

• Like 1