Silly question about chime replacement

Nvoss

Apologies in advance if this is a ridiculous question. I know very little about clocks. 

As I was growing up, my grandparents had a mantel clock with a Westminster chime which I always loved; now, sadly, it's lost to the ether. I received a different mechanical mantel clock as a gift many years later. From what I can tell, it's likely German, looks to be 1930s based on style, but exact maker is unclear to me. I don't think it's anything special, but it's attractive. I like its chime, but it's a simple single chime at :30 and the number chime on the hour. 

Is it possible to swap a basic, single chime like what this clock has for a Westminster chime? I understand the Westminster chime must have a totally different apparatus, since it hits more than one note, but I have no idea if this is possible to do, or if it's possible for someone like me with no experience to do through careful internet study.

I agree with Nevenbekriev. What you currently have is a striking clock, not a chiming clock. Not only would the whole movement need to be changed, the dial would need to fit exactly in the front hole and you would need to take out the gong (am guessing it is a coil on a stand) and fit a set of chime rods. There is also the risk that the pendulum on the replacement movement would not have enough room.

If your clock is in good order, enjoy it for what it is. If you still want a Westminster chimes clock, you can get them on Ebay - you might get a bargain. 

• Like 1

All has been said I totally agree with both. You can get a good Westminster chime for under £50. If you want a high grade one like an Elliott then you are talking over £200, if you can get a Smiths chime parts are available and normally many on ebay.  

Nvoss no question on here is silly. 

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1