Slow this clock down...solder blobs??

I have posted about this clock here.  Now that it is running, I see that it runs fast and there is no more adjustment range.

When I opened it up, I found solder blobs on the balance wheel.  I believe that was to slow it down.  A hunch is that someone replaced or shortened the hairspring...or something.

My options.  Solder blobs?  Don't like it.  Tap some screws for timing (like a watch).  Find another hairspring (near impossible).

Thoughts?

This looks interesting.

or this...

I've tried using the assorted hairsprings before to replace a very badly mangled hairspring. If you are lucky, you'll find a close match. But in a pinch, they do work.

I believe these assortments come from India. The material of the hairspring looks like a copper alloy, not the typical shiny steel that we are used to.

The hairsprings seem thicker and stronger than the usual clock hairsprings and this results in a lower amplitude.

The collet will most likely need adjusting, either reaming it larger or squeezing it to close the hole.

You can "vibrate" the hairspring by temporarily removing the regulator arm from the clock and pinning the end of the hairspring. By trial and error, you can adjust the length of the spring to approximate accuracy and mark the point. Replace the regulator arm and set it at the "0" or midpoint position. Shape the endcurve, then pin the hairspring with the mark on the hairspring place at the regulator. Don't cut off the spring yet. Let it run for a couple of days and make fine adjustments to the length of the spring by re-pinning the end, not by moving the regulator. This will give the correct timing with the regulator at the "0" position. (For OCD people)

Good luck. 🍀

• Thanks 1

One way of getting a clock or watch with a hair spring is to let the hairspring out providing you have enough left from where it was pinned, also make sure the hairspring is free between the regulator no matter its position.  If you don't have any luck then a different hairspring will be needed.