unidentified movement - inherited Granddaughter clock

Preston

Good morning, I came across another post whilst trying to research my Granddaughter clock mechanism and wonder if anyone could help me.

The pendulum suspension is missing completely, and I need to identify type in order to source a replacement, there are no identifying marks part from P60 stamped in one corner.

Images below in google folder, any help or direction greatly appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WkYEFYQh1zGWbNQN9

Hi and welcome to the forum.    The p60 probably refers to the pendulum length. The clock it’s self I would say is of European origin. Most likley German.  I think I have one the same in my drawer.  Three train rack striking movement without auto correct as the long lever has an extension to manually release the strike to sync the strike with the hands.  Without seeing the top view and identifying the auto correct pawls that’s an assumption.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Looking at the dial at 6 looks like Made in England. Could you post a close up photo please. The barrels can be removed without taking the movement to pieces. Pendulums in that shape I have seen many times on Smiths Grandmother clocks.  Grand mother/ Grand daughter clocks are the same, height 4 to 5 foot. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Looking at the dial at 6 looks like Made in England. Could you post a close up photo please. The barrels can be removed without taking the movement to pieces. Pendulums in that shape I have seen many times on Smiths Grandmother clocks.  Grand mother/ Grand daughter clocks are the same, height 4 to 5 foot. 

Thankyou for your reply, I have put more images into the file. It looks like the dial has been replaced at some stage, there is a faint outline and some pin holes. It would be nice to restore near to original or sympathetic, labour of love and learning rather than value.

The more I look at the movement I'm convinced it's German. That dial is certainly a replacement.  You are going to need some clock makers tools if you decide to clean it. Have you any knowledge about clock repairs? I would not recommend starting on such a movement without good experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

The more I look at the movement I'm convinced it's German. That dial is certainly a replacement.  You are going to need some clock makers tools if you decide to clean it. Have you any knowledge about clock repairs? I would not recommend starting on such a movement without good experience.

I have dabbled in the past with mechanical movements in things such as tinplate toys and the like, but have no real experience with Clock mechanisms. I would welcome advice and recommendations on the best way to move forward and what I would need to do so.

Hi attached below is the dial on my grand mother clock for reference I would say it’s around the same date.  The movement in mine is an Urgos  if I remember correctly it has auto correct.  As you can see the dial has the Arabic numerals not Roman. Looking at that dial on yours reminds me of some very modern dial  styles and as you have noticed it may well be an addition. It looks somewhat out of character. Would look better with the dial changedIMG_0125.thumb.jpeg.053a99a0885b686b8f7c45a94d94b008.jpeg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Preston said:

I have dabbled in the past with mechanical movements in things such as tinplate toys and the like, but have no real experience with Clock mechanisms. I would welcome advice and recommendations on the best way to move forward and what I would need to do so.

My advice would be start on something from this lot. These are Smiths strikes cheap to buy and plenty of parts available. If you see one you like let me know and I'll help. I would normally suggest a time piece but not many about. You clock dates before the second world war so before 1939, factories stop production on such things they were instructed to make parts for the war machine. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=smiths+clock+strike+&_sacat=0

• Thanks 1