Hello all of you,

I am planning to buy my first microscope, and I have found one with a 20x magnification. The lens looks far enough from the plate as it is for young ones who study gems and minerals.

Do you think this would be a reaspnable choice? I can't afford an expensive microscope and I'm not good at all at DIY 😀

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00DW4XL7A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1HLP5RNBQ132W&th=1

That design of microscope is not suitable for watch repair work. 20X magnification is too high for general work. Usually we work at about 3.5X magnification.

There is no tilt in the eyepieces, that means you have to look straight down, which would hurt your back and neck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

That design of microscope is not suitable for watch repair work. 20X magnification is too high for general work. Usually we work at about 3.5X magnification.

There is no tilt in the eyepieces, that means you have to look straight down, which would hurt your back and neck.

Agreed Hector. Blueharp i have a scope thats x10 , still too high for general repair

I put a 0.5X Barlow lens on my microscope, so I can zoom from 3.5X to 22.5X. I do most work at the lower mags.

The higher mag I use for examination, and fiddly things like oiling cap jewels.

From the second photo down, it looks like the angle of the eyepieces can be adjusted, although this seems unlikely as it would no longer be trained on the viewing plate.
You don't want a scope with upright eyepieces - I think these are made to be viewed standing up, which would get tiring.