Total Novice - Need to order a movement for my Rotary Watch

Hey All,

I have a Rotary GS08002/10.  I took it in for a battery replacement, and it was DOA.

I live in the US.  I contacted Rotary in the UK.  They said I could mail it to them for an assessment.  But after paying for postage and their fee, it was over $100.00.  Having them just send me a new movement was about the same price.

After reading up on Rotary watches, I'm quite sure that it has a Japanese movement.  Can anyone tell me what it might be?  Is it commonly available?  If so, it doesn't make much sense to order it from Rotary.

I can order the part, and take it to a local watchmaker.  Or have them order the part.  I don't know which option is more feasible.

I know that this isn't an expensive watch, and the best option is to purchase a new one.  But this was a gift, and has a lot of sentimental value to me.  So I would rather have it fixed.

Thanks everyone,

Rotary back.jpg

Rotary face.jpg

Thanks for the quick responses.

I found a tutorial on how to open the case.  That was simple, and got it open. 

It is a Ronda caliber 1006.  I found an exact match online.  There is a picture attached.  The movement has a bunch of scratches on it.  Is that typical?  It was purchased new, and it has only been opened for battery changes.

I did an online search, and it doesn't seem to be sold in the US.  I found some that were "new" on Ebay.  With shipping and all,  it will be about $60.00. 

Rotary had offered to sell me a new movement for $75.00.   That might be my best course.  That way, I will know for sure. 

I'm going to try another new battery, just to be safe.  I had taken it in for one, and the watch still didn't work.  But it was just a guy in a kiosk at the mall.  The battery he was selling might have been old.  I can buy an Energizer on Amazon for $4.00 USD.  It's worth a shot.

Now I am having a hard time putting it back on.  I've made sure that the slot is lining up over the stem.  I have put it in a baggie, and out of the way until I get the battery.

Any advice on getting the back on?  I'm trying to tread lightly here.  I don't want to damage it. 

If the battery isn't the issue, I'm going to look for a more qualified watchmaker, to do it properly.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Rotary Watch.jpeg

On 12/24/2023 at 7:33 PM, PeterHewitt said:

I contacted Rotary in the UK.  They said I could mail it to them for an assessment.  But after paying for postage and their fee, it was over $100.00.  

I don't see why it had to be shipped across the pond for asseeement.  Does the US lack the technology? 

Kiosk technology would suffice. 😄  

I think a new Swiss movement is proper, your best bet.

Its a Swiss movement.

Good luck Pal

Hi. The whole movement is swappable , just needs the dial and hands putting on.  First when you get the battery put a drop of naphtha on the bearing tops and using a line release move the hands round a bit faster then refit battery,  it usually gets them going.  Check the coil is not damaged, small nicks and scrapes usually show up as bright areas. If it starts out it will need a service and some lubrication.  Might be cheaper swapping the movement.  Movements can be obtained from Esslingers, Jules Borel in the US or Cousins in the UK.