Hi! Jeremy from Cincinnati looking to start a new hobby and overhaul Dad's old watch

Hello, folks.

I am in my early fifties and have been watching some of the YouTube channels on watch repair. My dad passed a way a few years ago now and have his old pocket watch. It's a simple manual Tissot movement (781-1) and so I thought I would start learning to maintain it.

My thought is also that this may be a nice hobby to take into my retirement years too in order to keep me out of my wife's hair.

J

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JeremyLaurenson said:

Hello, folks.

I am in my early fifties and have been watching some of the YouTube channels on watch repair. My dad passed a way a few years ago now and have his old pocket watch. It's a simple manual Tissot movement (781-1) and so I thought I would start learning to maintain it.

My thought is also that this may be a nice hobby to take into my retirement years too in order to keep me out of my wife's hair.

J

Welcome J,  from not so sunny Yorkshire Uk. Just be careful what you watch on YouTube.  All that glitters is not gold. A few that are worth watching are chronoglide,  chris spinner , chris soto, retro watches, french watch collector, watch repair channel,  about time alex Hamilton,  Richard Perrett, nekkid watchmaker and saving time. Bit of a mixture of talent,some of these are or were professional watchmakers the rest good amateurs.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 9:03 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

A few that are worth watching are chronoglide,  chris spinner , chris soto, retro watches, french watch collector, watch repair channel,  about time alex Hamilton,  Richard Perrett, nekkid watchmaker and saving time.

Good suggestions! When new I would especially recommend Alex Hamilton (Watch Repair Tutorials) and Chronoglide (Chronoglide Watchmakers).

Nekkid Watchmaker is great for learning about case restoration, but I'm not too impressed with his movement overhauls, mostly because he is extremely sloppy with his oiling, and learning about oiling is crucially important if you want a well-running watch over a long time (like several years).

Also, if and when you're ready to put a bit of money down, I'd suggest watchfix.com. There are others like learnwatchmaking.com, but personally, I would suggest watchfix.com to be the best starting point (no, I'm not affiliated with or get kickbacks from Mark!)

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Good suggestions! When new I would especially recommend Alex Hamilton (Watch Repair Tutorials) and Chronoglide (Chronoglide Watchmakers).

Nekkid Watchmaker is great for learning about case restoration, but I'm not too impressed with his movement overhauls, mostly because he is extremely sloppy with his oiling, and learning about oiling is crucially important if you want a well-running watch over a long time (like several years).

Also, if and when you're ready to put a bit of money down, I'd suggest watchfix.com. There are others like learnwatchmaking.com, but personally, I would suggest watchfix.com to be the best starting point (no, I'm not affiliated with or get kickbacks from Mark!)

I agree Jo can be a bit sloppy and clumsy at times.  A new one for me to start watching is saving time. He is originally a collector, not super experienced but has learnt quickly. A very articulate and educated sort of bloke, he includes some skilled strap making. Also Richard Perrett ex military who's approach is in similar vein. 

• Like 1