Seiko 4205

bobm12

Hi guys,

I'm having problems with the way the crystal and the bezel in the Seiko 4205 is put together. If any one of us has experience working with this "submariner" style case (mostly) and can do an in depth "how to" or "tutorial" I would really appreciate it.

This is what I'm trying to do:

1.- Change the crystal

2.- Insert back the ring around the crystal and finally the rotating bezel.

3.- Put a new movement in.

All help is deeply appreciated!

Cheers,

Bob

No problem, ro63rto, I thought I had it in my library too but what I have doesn't solve the problem. Thank you for taking the time and interest, I appreciate it.

In this instance, I don't think the solution I need is in a manual, but mostly in some hands on tips/pics...I know where everything goes but I can't get to put it all together...maybe the crystal is too thick? or I'm missing a tool that is needed? eg. a press die? Just looking for general advise from experience and troubles I can find...which I'm already having!

Also, the movement is giving me trouble...not as of its working but as to fitting it in the case! It is a different way from the other Seikos.  Hopefully, someone that knows this case can shed some light on the issues.

Cheers,

Bob

From what I can ascertain, the set up is the same as the 7002 divers. Have done a few in the past but unfortunately no photo journal. They're not particularly difficult, just be careful when putting the crystal in as the gasket has a tendency to distort and if they're anything like the 7002 you probably wont find a replacement. Yes you will need a crystal press. Post some photo's of where you're stuck, hopefully we can help.

Hi Blacklab,

and thank you for the advise. As of now, the watch is in pieces. I have the case (no crystal), the crystal gasket/seal, the bezel, an after market crystal of the "correct" size, a ring that is supposed to fit on top of the crystal and hold it down but doesn't. Then I have a NH05 I would like to fit in -- also a 4205 just as a back up -- plus all the rings and stuff that goes inside with it...all of this in separate pieces! :)

I'll post the pictures as soon as I get home.

Cheers,

Bob

Okayyy.........

From what I can see.......

Top row left to right: 1. not sure. 2. bezel insert spacer. 3. 7S26-0050 case. 4. unknown crown & stem (might be for the 7s26).

Mid row: 1. 4205 dial. 2. unknown grey movement spacer. 3. bezel insert. 4. bezel complete. 5. 4205 case. 6. caseback.

Bottom row: 1. pepsi bezel insert. 2. 4205 movement spacer. 3. unknown black movement spacer. 4. not sure. 5. 4205 case 6.4205 caseback. 7. bezel with spacer & without insert.

Cant be 100% sure but if you can post closer individual pics of the items I would be able to confirm what is what.

You should be able to make up one 4205 from this lot with the addition of a caseback gasket, probably a bezel o-ring, movement, hands, chapter ring. crown and stem. Same extras again plus another movement spacer will give you 2, although it looks like the case on the bottom row is missing its crystal and gasket. Crystals are not a problem, however the gasket is another matter. As for the 7s26 it looks like it could do with a movement, movement spacer, dial, hands, chapter ring etc.

Bezel inserts if properly made will snap fit, if not they can be glued in place. Bezels on Seikos are retained by a silicone greased o-ring that sits in an inner grove on the bezel just below the bezel inset & spacer. These are snapped on to the case using a suitable press but can sometimes be put in place by finger & thumb pressure alone. They are bi-directional with the click being supplied by tiny ball bearing on top of a spring pressed into the case under the bezel.

• Like 2

Have you had any joy getting it together Bob. I have done a few of these 4205's. Sorry but  just noticed your post.

Anyway I have some pictures from a rebuild that might help you. You might have it sorted by now but let me know if you'd like some pics or some for future reference.

Hi Davey,

I was out for a few days and didn't see your reply. Please, post the pictures, they will help me greatly. I haven't had the time to tinker with them cases as much as I wanted to! I'm having trouble with the ring that holds down the crystal and the way the movement is held inside the case mainly!

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Bob

Sorry again for the delay with the pictures, not enough hours in the day and all that.

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious at times.

So this is what you get with the movement dropped out of the case. The movement holder is far right with the notch for the stem. Of all the ones I have done so far I have only come across one that had screws securing the movement to the holder. I found that when everything was in place and the back screwed down it did not move around at all anyway so I did not worry too much about that.

post-923-0-38138200-1442863903_thumb.jpg

Now the case is dismantled. Fairly obvious where everything goes. Resting on the caseback is the little spring washer that fits onto the movement holder and butts against the caseback when it is screwed down.

If I am reading your question correctly it seems that you are having difficulty fitting the crystal into the case and then getting the retaining ring on. Maybe I was just lucky but mine was not so bad actually. With everything cleaned and a little silicone grease around the gasket I pushed the crystal in as far as I could with my fingers, I did not use a press as it only seems to sit in the gasket and relies on the retaining ring to hold it in place. As for the retaining ring, again I did not use the press as it was a bit of a three handed sort of job and with it being such a small watch there is not a lot of room. I positioned the ring over the crystal and while holding the glass in position with one finger I was able to squeeze the ring so far onto the case and start it off. The next step might be a bit unorthodox but it was the only way I could hold the glass in place and apply pressure at the same time to the ring. Using a really solid object with a nice edge, maybe a bench vice jaw or something that you can get your weight over. With the watch held face down and holding the glass and everything in position I placed the edge of the ring as close as I could without catching the glass onto the solid support and put all of my weight on it, turned it around a bit and did the same working my way slowly around the circumference of the ring and eased it on a bit at a time. Maybe once it has started and everything seems to be held in place you could use a press but mine went on all the way like this and so have the others that I have had apart. Try pressing the ring on and off a few times without the glass to get a feel for it.

post-923-0-17553000-1442863918_thumb.jpg

The movement back in place and the movement holder fitted. It is a good fit and a bit of a wriggle to get into place sometimes. Leave the rotor off until you get it in.

post-923-0-59935600-1442863931_thumb.jpg

Hope some of this helps. It is hard to put things like this into words and make the meaning clear. If I can answer any questions I would be only too glad to help.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi Davey,

Thank you for the awesome "tutorial"! It is really appreciated. I can't fail with all the support. Excellent pictures too!

@Ricardo: Thank you for the heads up about the site!

I've always said it, this site rocks!

Cheers,

Bob