Accutron 2181 Repace pawl finger (how to)

• LittleWatchShop changed the title to Accutron 2181 Repace pawl finger (how to)

Ok, maybe I was not clear. @ManSkirtBrewyou are correct. I just pried it off. The whole unit comes off as @HectorLooisaid but that was not what I really needed to know but was the correct guidance.

I have a donor, but I see that the finger is bent around the collet making it too short to hit the index wheel. I have removed the finger from the plate. Next, I will straighten it so that it will intersect the index wheel properly. But will wait until tomorrow when I am fresh!

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 1

An update. On the donor, pawl finger, I was able to straignten it out.  The images show what I mean (I show a bent one and a straightened one...just the finger itself and the collet).

The collet was loose so I had to compress it.  I used a collet-closing tool I bought for hairspring collets.  Very handy!  It also held the collet while I was doing the bending.

It was trial and error getting the collet back on and at the right height to properly hit the index wheel, but I got it pretty close to centered.

The watch kindof runs though it appears to lurch slightly at the frequency of the index wheel.  I think that maybe the index wheel has some damage.

Another indicator is that the current on the test set is fine while the pawl is not engaged, but once engaged, the current goes just beyond the threshold for the 218.

It is a learner watch, so I continue to learn!!

2023-12-14 10_27_09-FreeCAD 0.21.1.jpg

2023-12-14 10_27_31-FreeCAD 0.21.1.jpg

5 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

getting the collet back on and at the right height to properly hit the index wheel

Apologies if you already know this, but the recommended procedure is to seat the collet all the way down and bend the post back or forwards to raise or lower the jewel.

6 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

The watch kindof runs though it appears to lurch slightly at the frequency of the index wheel.

My experience has been that the index wheels are always out of round. This can make it challenging to get it to run smoothly.

In this video of a 218 I did, you can clearly see the wheel pulsing back and forth:

And in this video of phasing a 219, you can see it fully stopping at the high points:

Are you phasing with the battery, or with a variable power supply?

• Like 1

-----------

Further observations:

The Accutron 218 movement holder (I inherited) is far better than a conventional movement holder.  It clamps on to the movement very secure.

Second, I do not know how anyone could work on one of these without a microscope.  I have the Bulova microscope but I am using my stereo for this work.

2 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Are you phasing with the battery, or with a variable power supply?

Using a battery installed on the test set.

3 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Apologies if you already know this, but the recommended procedure is to seat the collet all the way down and bend the post back or forwards to raise or lower the jewel.

Yes, I read this but forgot it.  I will revisit this issue today.

3 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

My experience has been that the index wheels are always out of round

The couple that I have looked at also corroborate this.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:55 PM, HectorLooi said:

Use an oiler to turn the pawl finger away from the index wheel first. Then remove the two screws holding it. The pawl can then slide forward, out of the groove of the eccentric adjusting screw.

@HectorLooi, I asked @ManSkirtBrewabout his Accutron cleaning method and am curious about yours. He uses ultrasonic and L&R clean/rinse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

This seems scary.  The index and pawl fingers vibrate in the watch, so I guess vibrating in the US is OK.  Still seems scary.

It's scary to me, that's for sure. The only thing I leave on the mainplate is the index wheel. I reinstall it and the upper bridge, then put them in their own basket.

The fork and pawl bridge get separately cleaned in fresh hairspring dip.

Edit: from the 218 service manual:

image.png.ed9ac00a1c7b6f3ba866c558596bef06.png

Edited by ManSkirtBrew
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

his seems scary.  The index and pawl fingers vibrate in the watch, so I guess vibrating in the US is OK.  Still seems scary.

Hopefully it's okay because typically I always clean tuning fork watches in the cleaning machine with ultrasonic. Always clean the index wheel in the ultrasonic. Always try to remember not to clean the tuning fork because it's amazing how much metal particles floating around in the cleaning machine.

• Like 1