Jahresuhren Fabrik 400 Day clock mainspring arbor

Michael1962

Based on my rather large lack of experience with just about everything clocks, though I can happily spell clock now, how hard would it be to fabricate a new mainspring arbor for a 400 day clock? I can't imagine it to be overwhelmingly difficult. What I do not know is how the mainspring is anchored to the arbor.

Does the book that was recommended to me (on here) regarding 400 day clocks, outline how these should be made? Finding a new part would be nigh on impossible I would think. Finding a donor would be just as hard. So making one becomes the best answer. Hence my question. As I doubt the book would have the detail of a particular part outlined in it, does anyone on here have any sort of details as to how an arbor would be made? The main point for me is the mainspring anchor point. The rest would be some filing and polishing. Maybe some lathework. Luckily, none of which is daunting to me.

There is a rather cheap one in NSW, just up the coast, from Melbourne which I am tempted to bid on. The seller said he has bought a key for it, but then realised that he could not wind it. So I would suggest knows very little about what he has.

Anyway, there is also another one which is asking more than double this one, but it is complete. Again, it is a Jahresuhren Fabrik movement as well.

Both have unmarked dials. Neither have the adjustable feet that I have seen on some examples.

What are the good brands to look for? Mind you, in Australia, beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by Michael1962

• Michael1962 changed the title to Jahresuhren Fabrik 400 Day clock mainspring arbor

400 day clocks are already difficult to get it up and running. I would give this one a miss. There must be antique shops or garage sales in Australia where you can find a complete 400 day clock.

We have a similar problem of finding clocks in Singapore. Firstly, being a very small country and secondly, Chinese do not like clocks due to some superstition that I don't fully understand.

I get my clocks from eBay but the shipping has become ridiculous since Covid.

Barrel completely missing and the spring plus barrel arbor. I expect the mainspring broke ans took off many teeth as well. As HectorLooi says difficult repairing these clocks. You couldn't pick a worse type of clock to repair. Experienced clock makers don't like them, many refuse to repair them. I took full advantage of that because I could repair them.