Can't wrap my finger around it...

43 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Bending the cock, the top and bottom jewels would not be in perfect alignment (thats if they were to begin with ) how much affect would this have ? Would it cause the pivots to bind on the bearings ?  

I guess TG will show you short term effects, long term effect however, like wearing the pivots shouldn't be disregarded. 

Edited by Nucejoe

4 minutes ago, nevenbekriev said:

Yes, balance jewels have thoroidal internal surfase, not cylidrical like train jevels

I have a picture which will also help with the other problem

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

As the OP doesn't have a jeweling tool, lets show him to shim.

On 11/30/2023 at 11:40 AM, RichardHarris123 said:

ideally the plate jewel needs moving but you will need a  jewelling tool. 

I thought maybe a picture would help as to what the problem is with American pocket watches typically.

Notice that there is a hole jewel in a setting and it's held in place with the cap jewel That's also in a setting. They're both typically friction lightly into the whole which usually requires a tool to push them in or out. Then there held in place with two screws.

This means there is zero adjustment even if you had a jeweling tool as there's nothing you can do they are what they are.

image.png.14e721d51288b50b59086820a30396fe.png

Then we don't really get a good image the balance jewel as its hole is a different shape to the plate jewel. Specifically the hole itself has a curvature to it to reduce the friction on the side. Then there are some plate jewels that do the same thing but usually find those in more expensive watches

image.thumb.png.9b826af28a7bde2974535ed163f31def.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Was thinking maybe I should Google this to figure out what exactly I have been accused of

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/gatekeeping

Interesting definition. But it brings up a problem of the original posting person is doing exactly that. His controlling the information we have or have not to solve the problem.

Watch repair involves a lot of detective work in order to do the detective work we require eyes at the scene of the crime and we need a crime report.

If we didn't have a picture of a watch in other words we didn't have a scene of a crime and a hypothetical question was asked then we could give hypothetical answers but we would still need a watch or description of a watch because the answers will vary depending upon the watch. For instance some watches you could move the jewels not typically an American pocket watch.

As a reminder the balance jewels are different than plate jewels they will tolerate greater out of alignment. Then yes before fixing a problem figuring out what the problem is like has the bridge been bent.

Usually on American pocket watches shimming is just a thin strip of paper either in the front or the back of the screw to allow you to tip the balance bridge. Which angles the bridge exactly the same as bending would do or raising marks on the plate.

Right I feel I have told ample information for the question I had. I didnt need to go in the life story of the whole dang piece... I am truly thankful for all of your opinions. 

5 minutes ago, MCBwatchrepair said:

Right I feel I have told ample information for the question I had. I didnt need to go in the life story of the whole dang piece... I am truly thankful for all of your opinions. 

The problem is from my point of view I can't help you without more information. But I respect your right to withhold the information from me that would allow me to give you a proper answer. Because I find these discussions frustrating if I ask questions and get no answers the message board has a wonderful solution to help me out. This will be the last answer you ever get from me I am going to blacklist you this way I will never see you ever again and I will not get frustrated again. You will not be frustrated with silly questions and it's a win-win for both of us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

The problem is from my point of view I can't help you without more information. But I respect your right to withhold the information from me that would allow me to give you a proper answer. Because I find these discussions frustrating if I ask questions and get no answers the message board has a wonderful solution to help me out. This will be the last answer you ever get from me I am going to blacklist you this way I will never see you ever again and I will not get frustrated again. You will not be frustrated with silly questions and it's a win-win for both of us.

Welcome to the internet

16 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

By the way how do you know that that was actually done by the manufacturer?

This watch (Chronoswiss) uses an chronometer grade ETA 2892-2 and has been serviced just once in his life by the manufacturer. So the end play adjustment was done by ETA or Chronoswiss.

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1