Jump to content

Took a big chance on Seitz jewelling tool - what's missing?


Recommended Posts

So, I pulled the trigger on this guy on eBay. I'm planning to replace some 6309 barrel arbor jewels and needed the reamers, so thought why not add a new tool to the collection. I can tell straight away that all the anvils seem to be missing, which is probably a big problem. What do I absolutely need to replace in this kit? What's lacking that I'll need to make it usable? 

I've also just bought a chinese clone of the Horia tool, so will have all the parts in that available to me.

 

image.thumb.png.6104d92269642dcd9a52ea416ff9ee68.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The image I attached is from the listing, with the "anvils" section of the set clearly empty, so I knew they were missing when I purchased it. I was thinking I could replace anything that's missing, but... I could be f***ed here yeah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is much missing - unless you have a source to economically replace pushers you would have been better off investing in a more complete set IMO

…the pieces need to be sorted to their correct place so I can’t tell how useful the set will be for you but if you have the more commonly used sizes for the movements you’re servicing there’s some utility there…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lexacat said:

So, I pulled the trigger on this guy on eBay. I'm planning to replace some 6309 barrel arbor jewels and needed the reamers, so thought why not add a new tool to the collection. I can tell straight away that all the anvils seem to be missing, which is probably a big problem. What do I absolutely need to replace in this kit? What's lacking that I'll need to make it usable? 

I've also just bought a chinese clone of the Horia tool, so will have all the parts in that available to me.

 

image.thumb.png.6104d92269642dcd9a52ea416ff9ee68.png

You have all the reamers which is good as long as they are in good shape, i know the reamers are quite available if not. The reamer sprindle looks to be missing though. All the pushers with my 4mm horia clone fit my seitz pusher spindle and the 4mm clone anvils fit the seitz base, not perfectly, but useable

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah yeah, really regretting this decision now. Gonna chalk it up as a stupid loss, maybe see if I can part bits of it out to get some of my money back. 

I'll wait til it gets here and then do a full sort/check of what's included. I know I can get a reamer spindle, but yeah, I should have just saved up and bought a more complete kit. Anvils look like they're harded to get a hold of but I can use the ones from the horia clone.

Edited by lexacat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, lexacat said:

Ah yeah, really regretting this decision now. Gonna chalk it up as a stupid loss, maybe see if I can part bits of it out to get some of my money back. 

I'll wait til it gets here and then do a full sort/check of what's included. I know I can get a reamer spindle, but yeah, I should have just saved up and bought a more complete kit. Anvils look like they're harded to get a hold of but I can use the ones from the horia clone.

Nooo, dont regret it, buyers remorse is the worst, depends what you paid for it. You'll figure it out, the clone anvils do fit, the quality isnt great but they can be improved with a little work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

53 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Nooo, dont regret it, buyers remorse is the worst, depends what you paid for it. You'll figure it out, the clone anvils do fit, the quality isnt great but they can be improved with a little work. 

Yes I agree- there’s useful stuff there  and if the sizes are correct you may only need to replace a few things.

Never for useful tools, I save regret for those ‘hole’ watches where I keep spending on parts what never quite fit, like the Seiko and the little stack of date rings that don’t fit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

You have all the reamers which is good as long as they are in good shape, i know the reamers are quite available if not. The reamer sprindle looks to be missing though. All the pushers with my 4mm horia clone fit my seitz pusher spindle and the 4mm clone anvils fit the seitz base, not perfectly, but useable

The reamer spindle sits in a hole drilled into the side of the wooden block Rich

 

Tom

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

The reamer spindle sits in a hole drilled into the side of the wooden block Rich

 

Tom

Lexacat will be pleased to here that Tom lol. I hope its there for him 🤞. Its one of the reasons i wanted to start the what tools does ebay have to offer. Anyone looking to buy from ebay can get advice first before dropping their bid, here lexcat could have been adviced to ask the seller for confirmation that the reamer is in there. Its another 40 quid on top if he has to buy a new one. Getting hold of the anvils might be an issue as well, but as we know the buying doesn't usually just stop at one of these. A lot of the time its about avoiding unscrupulous sellers. Anyways heres a little lot i picked up over the weekend, likely i was up against one or two of us here, apologies if i pipped anyone to the post. A couple of things i was after in particular the rest are a bonus, one or two might be up for tool of the day mystery.  Have a great day everyone and more importantly stay safe out there.

Screenshot_20231106-094421_eBay.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks a little like the set I got, but I think I was a bit more fortunate with the parts, I made up my missing parts from CousinsUK, (link here) the missing bits range from £5-10 each so it could be quite a chunk of change if you wanted to complete the set, but as other have said, if you only replace the commonly used buts you could do it for much less than this, or maybe pick up a set on line and make one good set from the 2?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Looks a little like the set I got, but I think I was a bit more fortunate with the parts, I made up my missing parts from CousinsUK, (link here) the missing bits range from £5-10 each so it could be quite a chunk of change if you wanted to complete the set, but as other have said, if you only replace the commonly used buts you could do it for much less than this, or maybe pick up a set on line and make one good set from the 2?

The anvils are not that badly priced £ 25ish with the vat for a set of 4 plus shipping, so depending on where you are .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2023 at 2:45 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

You have all the reamers which is good as long as they are in good shape, i know the reamers are quite available if not. The reamer sprindle looks to be missing though.

I see that somebody else mention the spindle is always hidden. Which brings up a problem on eBay where the typical seller has no idea that exist at all. Personally for me the most important aspect of the tool would be that the reamers Are in good condition. As typically and that is the only purpose I use the tool for.

On 11/5/2023 at 1:19 AM, lexacat said:

What do I absolutely need to replace in this kit? What's lacking that I'll need to make it usable? 

Before you start rushing in purchasing things for your tool did you notice something different about it? I don't know if anyone else noticed there is something a little bit different about yours well there's several things must compare with  what we normally perceive is a normal one

image.thumb.png.a3bcf69ebfd5d0f3edb065479980e5fd.png

Identical tools except they're not.

Not obvious unless you already know what you're looking at seeing as how I have both of these. Yes the early days were these things were considerably cheaper and purchasing two of them would allow me to make one good one kind of.

The amusement of things you cannot see in the pictures. The tool on the top is made out a cast iron I believe it's solid cast iron it's rather heavy. The newer generations are made out of cast something is as rather lightweight although I've never heard of anyone breaking of it.

Then I don't know how many variations of these exist? What you want to do is measure the hole in the base and then asked somebody on the group to measure there's and make sure the size is the same before Ordering anything them out in the base if the whole is not right. I don't remember what size mine was but it was modified to fit the modern pieces.

I've also attached the book C can see all the exciting things that ritual is supposed to have.

 

Seitz book.pdf

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, thanks guys! Excited again to see what's in the box when it arrives, I'll update this thread with pics when it's here. Good to know I can get everything I need to make a full set, or at least what I need to make it useful to me. 

@praezis that's awesome! Looks like this is the 1938 model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Well it finally turned up today, and I'm over the buyers remose. I think this is gonna be a useful tool to have. The box has seen better days, the parts need to be sorted and I'll have to find some replacements, but overall not terrible. The reamer spindle was with it, so that's great! And the 38 written in the bottom of the box determines this is definately the '38 version.

IMG_20231208_201505.jpg

IMG_20231208_201633.jpg

IMG_20231208_201651.jpg

IMG_20231208_201730.jpg

IMG_20231208_201803.jpg

IMG_20231208_203052.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, lexacat said:

Well it finally turned up today, and I'm over the buyers remose. I think this is gonna be a useful tool to have. The box has seen better days, the parts need to be sorted and I'll have to find some replacements, but overall not terrible. The reamer spindle was with it, so that's great! And the 38 written in the bottom of the box determines this is definately the '38 version.

IMG_20231208_201505.jpg

IMG_20231208_201633.jpg

IMG_20231208_201651.jpg

IMG_20231208_201730.jpg

IMG_20231208_201803.jpgIMG_20231208_203052.jpg

👍 I have the same one, and yes the reamer spindle fits in the side of the wooden tray. The stump posts on mine are 3mm whereas on the more modern lighter version i have they are 4mm, so just be aware when ordering replacements. The reamers and spindle size is the same on both.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...