Newbie confusion...movement to match dial.

Hello everyone,

My first post here and hoping for help, reassurance, and perhaps a pat on the shoulder. I'm restoring an old Pulsar Pepsi diver Y563a-707H that has a bad movement (stutters). Of course, the watch is so old an exact new replacement for that movement (Y563a)  is not available from the usual sources, but the ETA 805.122 is listed as compatible. OK, I bought the ETA. These are pretty inexpensive low grade quartz movements so there was little risk.

Well ran into my first problem... the dial feet on my Pulsar dial are in the wrong position for the ETA. So I have 3 options to deal with this incompatibility -

1. Find a generic dial with the correct feet placement for the ETA movement. I've looked, nothing really that works with a Pepsi diver.

2.  having someone clip the feet off my Pulsar dial and glue new ones in the correct position for the ETA. That seems like it would be expensive. I know there are "dial dots" but I'm told don't use them as the eventually jam up the day/date ring.

3,  Find a used pulsar movement. Searching and I think I may be on to something. It a Pulsar watch Y563-8559 . Am I right in assuming this would be the same movement as in my watch and therefore the dial feet position would be the same? (and that the "8559" only refers to a case style?). I see that these 2 watches use different model stems, but I'm hoping that only is a cosmetic change in the crown. 

So what do you guys think...Am I on the right path? Many, many thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Califlefty

I would go with option 2, you could even give this a go yourself, there are several youtube videos on how to do this, and the equipment isn't too expensive - but I would experiment on an old dial first until you get your technique down. you can just wiggle off hte old feet with your tweezers... like a 5year old with a wobbly tooth 🙂

You can then use the tool (comes as a complete kit for $50 ish) below to mill a little circular recess in the back of the dial and then glue the new dial foot in place, either super glue or 2 part epoxy

IMG_20230925_132454.thumb.jpg.6cd733f0c4486d643bc6c93b71e7c223.jpg

Or you can solder new feet on using a set up similar to the one below:

Screenshot_20231008-204710.thumb.png.d82c08f6b44c7d58a1522ac7253439e4.pngScreenshot_20231008-204828.thumb.png.0d04e95ddd0b6ba72bbf119cb24675eb.pngScreenshot_20231008-205931.thumb.png.75219e4b92cdde9dba902b5c96d0c4ee.png

Advantage is that if this fails, you can still try the other options

• Like 1

Thanks for your response,

I think my best route is keep looking for a replacement movement that uses the same stem for my case. I think buying tools and parts for a one time use isn't economic. Besides, I don't see how you can accurately position the new feet. Either new feet or soldering would be too much handling for a newbie like me that would destroy the dial.  I'm kind of surprised that when I look at Youtube vids regarding customizing movements and dials, no one mentions foot alignment. It seems to me that is one very critical step. 

On 10/22/2023 at 8:52 PM, Califlefty said:

Am I right in assuming this would be the same movement as in my watch and therefore the dial feet position would be the same? (and that the "8559" only refers to a case style?).

I'm pretty certain that that is the numbering convention that Pulsar uses.

A little Googlefoo suggests that the Hattori VX63 might be a drop in replacement though, although I haven't found any thing about dial feet positions yet. That being said at only £4.75 +vat and shipping from Cousins it wouldn't exactly be an expensive exercise to just buy one and try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Same as @Waggy go for option2 buy the refitting leg tool and use the original dial. 

this tool is not expensive as you can see and it's very useful. I glue the leg with epoxy but other glue can be used.

If you fell that it's too complicated you can go also for very simple double sided sticker to fix the dial like this https://www.amazon.com/USHOBE-Stickers-Sticker-Double-Sided-Double-Side/dp/B0CFNFG5K6

it's less watchmaker style but it's doing the job

• Like 1