Seiko 7009 train of wheels stuck

My Seiko 7009 rebuild was going well, all of the train of wheels spins freely and the main spring and balance are undamaged. however once wound, ratchet wheel seems to not be receiving power. the barrel will rotate for a quarter turn or so and then seems to get caught.

all parts were cleaned and all pivots are undamaged. watch will run but only for the quarter turn of the barrel. 

Sound and resistance comes from circled area, I believe it may be rubbing against the click but am not sure

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1208.jpeg

On 10/3/2023 at 7:45 AM, NathanM said:

watch will run but only for the quarter turn of the barrel. 

Sound and resistance comes from circled area, I believe it may be rubbing against the click but am not sure.

Rubbing is due to unlevelness of the turning parts, if you see no damaged teeth/part, the sound must come from a broken part or mainspring slippage. 

Does it run if you rewind after each stop? 

• Like 1

Hard to tell but from the angle in the photo the click looks misaligned. There is very little clearance for this type of seiko click…

IMG_0771.thumb.jpeg.f94a6ff1338e578a783dfb8570275e56.jpeg

…not that you didn’t use care. I’d second the idea of just doing a refit…the good news is there’s room to adjust the position. Bad news is there’s room to adjust the position…

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Malocchio said:

Is the loose end of the click spring stuck under the train bridge?

Looks like it. I did the same thing when I first serviced one of these. As @rehajm shows above, you have to pull the end of the spring out before pushing down on the bridge.

Yeah, it looks like that’s what I did wrong when assembling. I never pushed the spring fully out of the way when installing the barrel.

8 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Rubbing is due to unlevelness of the turning parts, if you see no damaged teeth/part, the sound must come from a broken part or mainspring slippage. 

Does it run if you rewind after each stop? 

Yes, it will run for a bit until it seems to catch again. I had inspected the barrel and didn’t see any signs of damaged or Bent teeth

OK, So I recleaned and reassembled the train of wheels, and assembled it with the spring in the correct position. While doing this, I realized that the clutch wheel was falling to the side and jamming the barrel,  I had taken the stem out to fix the end as it was bent. To fix the rubbing problem I just had to reinstall the stem. problem was so simple. 

thank you all for the advice and help with troubleshooting.

Edited by NathanM
  • Like 3