Elliot 7 day bulkhead clock stops after 2-3 days

Harlequin

Hi. Intermittent stopping is indicative of the clock requiring a service ( dismantle clean and oil).  Possible causes are many the common one being dirt, congealed oil, worn pivots an bearings , also a broken main spring etc.  All of which requires the clock to be dismantled and inspected. A picture of the clock and movement would be useful.  

• Like 1

Having done some research and on closer inspection it does look as though this pivot point has been bushed previously; the bush itself looks as if it has worn away. Perhaps dismantling and drifting out the worn bush I might be able to rebush this myself. All comments would be welcome gentlemen. 

It definitely needs re-bushing and with those punch marks around someone has tried to tighten the bush that was used, I would say the hole was broached to big for the bush. So it was a complete bodge up. The old worn bush needs tapping out and a new one fitted. In this case the hole might need to be plugged first before re-bushing. The pivot needs to be checked for wear and will certainly need to be burnished.   

• Like 1

Thanks old hippy

Its  shame really as it was purchased from a reputable clock repairer for not an inconsiderable sum. As you say it has been botched; even I can I can see that and I'm not a clock repairer.  Plugging holes sounds quite technical; what's involved please?

I'm trying to weigh up how much of this I can do myself.  Thanks so far.

Well what do you say, if this is the work of a reputable clock repair it’s pretty poor. It is definitly needing a rebush. What Old Hippy has said holds true. The old bush out the hole tidying up and a new bush pressing in. I my self would drill the hole to remove the punch marks and make a bush to restore the plate but for that you need a lathe. Looking at the bush the condition of the pivot may also need attention, burnishing at the least to restore the surface. It’s not impossible to do it by hand , but will take care and time.

Thanks Mr W

Fortunately my brother in law has an engineering lathe; he makes model steam engines. So if I get him to drill the plate as far out as the punch marks, then perhaps it will be possible to press in a brass bush. What is the best way to measure for the correct bush please?

I've noticed that several of the spindles carrying their brass cogs are made of steel. Have they been replaced or was the movement originally manufactured this way?

I'm beginning to wonder if this might be a new hobby for the winter months as sailing tends to occupy me during the summer. Would you recommend any up to date text books to start me off?

I really appreciate your help with this...it's fascinating!

Hi that would be good to restore the plate (no marks).    The pinions are traditionally steel and the wheels brass . Brass being softer rind smoother with the steel ,less friction.

books wise there are several though not cheap,  Clock repairing by Donald De Carle, is a good starter. Although it was written some years ago the principals are sound,  books by Laurie Pennman, Loomes, Mike Watters,  all worth a mention.  Google For books on clock repairing and you will get plenty to choose from.  If not sure on choice just ask there are plenty of members who will help.

16 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Thanks old hippy

Its  shame really as it was purchased from a reputable clock repairer for not an inconsiderable sum. As you say it has been botched; even I can I can see that and I'm not a clock repairer.  Plugging holes sounds quite technical; what's involved please?

I'm trying to weigh up how much of this I can do myself.  Thanks so far.

You are going to need brass rod of just over the diameter of the hole. You will need drill the hole. If drilling you will need a drill press or a lathe with the drill press attachment which I have. You will then have to find the center of the rod before you punch mark the center. You will have to get this right or the depth will be wrong for the wheels to run correctly the teeth depth must be correct. A clock depthing tool is best for this. Don't get me wrong but this is not a job for someone who has never worked on clocks. 

• Like 1

Hi All the above mentioned by Old Hippy will have to be done in the correct sequence,  

Inspect and clean up the pivot and burnish. Now measure the pivot.

fit rod into lathe and drill the hole ( size just measured)  just under size, it can be broached, sideshake 0.1% from the vertical.

then cut / drill the plate and measure the hole for size

then take down the rod to just over size as you want it to be a friction fit, it should be a slight taper and jus fit no more than the into the newly cut bush,     The plate can also be broached by hand for a good fit.. A daunting job for a non clock repairer   Good luck.