Re-collector.

Timeseeker

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• That still seems to be what mine is designed for. No position has any effect on friction. And it feels like overkill to be an eccentric adjustment since the anvil plate already has enough motion. It's one more thing to knock out of adjustment at the wrong time.
    • Yes thats possible, that pivot could well have more friction when sat in the dimple, might be enough to stop the balance. If the dimple is deep enough and the staff pivot has worn down as well, which it most probably has then the staff could end up riding on the underneath of the balance jewel at it's shoulder height and stop the oscillations.  When the spring is removed it is only held at one point , at the collet on the staff, in this situation the spring is free to take on it's own natural shape. When fitted to the movement the spring is then held at 2 points, the collet and the stud, 3 if you include the regulating pins. In that situation the spring is being pulled from its natural shape if the 3 points are not correctly adjusted to match the spring's shape, usually just at the stud can bring things into alignment. Bunching up of the coils more often makes the spring oscillate faster, in effect taking the active timing point from the regulating pins to the bunched up coils , closest to the collet.
    • Hi Arron. Disclaimer: I am a hobbyist and not a watch repair professional, so take my advice for what it's worth. 1. I would say no. At worst it could lower the amplitude some. 2. It does from the top, but from the side it looks all wrong. It looks to me like it would foul the rest of the hairspring and cause it to stop oscillating. The Breguet overcoil should sit roughly parallel to the rest of the coils but on a higher plane. Yours looks bent in the opposite direction. 3. If the balance spring is bent near the stud it could push the whole spring off-center once the balance staff is in its jewels. 4. Unless it was very severe, then no.
    • Have not tried either...will give it a shot
    • This will not work overnight it will take time brush oil on the hamer leather. Have you tried to move the hammers slightly away from the gongs.