Trying to fix a 1950s clock with a Kienzle 606e mechanism

Todd999

A friend of mine got a clock as a wedding gift back in Italy in the 1950s, unfortunately the clock got accidentally knock off the wall, hit the ground and broke the wood frame pretty badly.  There is no apparent damage to the actual clock itself.  I was able to fix the frame and get it all back together, but now the clock will not run.  Upon examination of the Kienzle 606e mechanism, nothing appears to be broken, bent, out of place, etc.  The clock runs on a D-cell battery so I purchased a new one to be sure that was not the problem.  I was able to record the only thing it does when the battery is connected to the mechanism and I am hoping that someone can look at it and tell me what is wrong.  Since I cannot upload the video here, I will put it in my Dropbox and provide the link at the bottom of this message.  I took a regular and slow motion video.  I understand that I do not know anything about repair clocks, but I had to at least try because of the extreme sentimental value of this old clock from the old days back in Italy for my friend.   Thanks in advance for any help.

Video 1

Video 2

Hello Todd999,

Sounds like the clock took quite a tumble. Glad to hear you got it back together. Any pictures? Had trouble viewing I think the slo-mo video. 

With it crashing to the ground is the balance wheel ok? It could have broke a pivot and not be immediately obvious.

The second video flickers and you cannot see what is going on. That type of movement has a balance and as it hit the deck I expect the balance staff has broken. Is the balance wheel tilting to one side and if you shake it does it rotate. If your answer is no then the staff has broken. 

• Like 1

The videos show the action of the electric winding mechanism which apparently works. It can be seen that the balance (encircled red) does not move at all. So something could be broken or stuck inside the gear train between main spring barrel (encircled green) and balance.

IMG_5002.jpeg

Edited by Kalanag

You don't think the staff has broken. One thing that might have happened because it had a fall and that is has the balance over banked. That is where the balance impulse pin is the wrong side of the pallets. Her is a photo of what I mean. If this is the problem you need to unscrew the two screws and get it back in between the pallets. 

Overbanked-768x1212.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If anyone knows of a listing of Kienzle clocks which use the 606 series of movements would they kindly point me in the right direction.
I am searching for items that run from an electro-mechanical movement, one which partially winds a spring up and that drives the mechanism of the clock.
Thanks to anyone who can help.