How to open a 1958 Bulova Snorkel and stem/crown question

Hi, I have tried screwing the back off but it hasn't moved yet and I am not sure that it doesn't open on crystal side. Haven't tried a case knife yet for the same reason.

The stem area is not like any I am familiar with. There are tiny clip-like projection, not sure how it is supposed to interact with the crown, once it has one. Thanks.

A310 - 20230813_025852.jpg

A318 - 20230813_030327.jpg

20230813_021930.jpg

20230813_022017.jpg

20230813_022039.jpg

notice how the case back is on nice and street not impossible first screw back but unlikely. That would imply that the back might pop off but don't see any place to pry it off to see something that can be pride

image.png.8654fb6243b64deb69cca8f704b070e6.png

noticed how I circled it looks like a really big crack and I don't see anything down below. So more than likely should build a pry the bezel and the bezel McChrystal should come off together. Then with this is this is a front loading watch the reason why the crown is missing is it's a split stem crown. I found a picture online down below. So order to disassemble a watch like this you would have to build remove the stem and they made it easy as they pop apart. The unfortunate consequence of popping apart is that sometimes it will just come out all by itself.

At least that's my best guess but I still can't tell from the same photo that I snipped out just what is going on around the case to buy just don't have a good feel for what I'm seeing at all. So that's my best guess if you take the front off the movement should fall out

20190307_115819.thumb.jpg.29accb7dcf84d75c0613c917d2933ece.jpg

It has a two piece stem so it comes out from the front. You need to remove the bezel then the glass and the movement will fall out. this is very common with Bulova watches. A good thin pen knife should re move the bezel. This tool will remove the glass. 

61pNxe0barL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1