Greetings from Coral Gables, Florida.

Hello all,  

Just joined this forum from Coral Gables, Florida.  That's really Miami.  But like most people in Florida, I'm not originally from here. I am originally from Venezuela, but lived in 7 countries growing up.  My first watch was a Timex that I got when I was 11 years old.  When I turned 16 I got my first automatic mechanical watch, an Omega Genève. And I've been a big fan of Omega since then.  I own a good number of them, mostly sports Omegas from the 70's and 80's.  

I have dabbled in repairing watches but I haven't taken on anything too complicated.  I hope to learn a bit from the folks here.

At any rate, I look forward to being part of this forum.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, cool avatar. It looks like a program I use for figure drawing; they have hands and feet and heads like that. Anyway, I also got a Timex as a first watch, at about 9. Since then, I have had a secret guilty love of them, and there has been a stigma about them, in the US anyway. Here on this forum, there are many proud Timex owners. It's heartwarming. Also like you, I dabbled for quite a while and collected many watches. I am just starting the second course offered here - I signed up for three of them. It really makes sense to do that if you want to learn how the easier and better way than doing it on your own. These are wheels not easily reinvented.

The avatar is actually a picture of a Doc Savage bronze bust I have. You may not be familiar with Doc Savage, but he's a character originally from pulp magazines from the 30's.  He's considered by many to be the first superhero.  His adventures became paperback books in the 70's and I read a ton of them growing up, around the same time I got my first Timex!   Speaking of which, I see Timex is putting out some really cool watches.  I've been looking at the Timex-PanAm watch given that I had the chance to fly many a PanAm flight back in the day.

I'll be thinking about taking the courses here.  Just have to get my Life schedule a bit re-arranged.  Working on that.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:06 AM, Espressomac said:

The avatar is actually a picture of a Doc Savage bronze bust I have. You may not be familiar with Doc Savage, but he's a character originally from pulp magazines from the 30's.  He's considered by many to be the first superhero.  His adventures became paperback books in the 70's and I read a ton of them growing up, around the same time I got my first Timex!   Speaking of which, I see Timex is putting out some really cool watches.  I've been looking at the Timex-PanAm watch given that I had the chance to fly many a PanAm flight back in the day.

I'll be thinking about taking the courses here.  Just have to get my Life schedule a bit re-arranged.  Working on that.

Well I am a Marvel/ Stan Lee collector and have a few Doc Savages. I have most of the Shadow issues, and he is mingled in there a few times. "Tougher than Tarzan, braver than Bond", what a guy. About Pan Am flights: we lived on those in the 60s. It beat the heck out of flying Icelandic, if you were ever unlucky enough to try that. And finally, about the courses, just do it for yourself. It's a treat. It is taking me a very long time to get to #2 because I didn't have an organized place to do the work. I am getting there.

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

only two days in London?

Hi John, I am almost off my self-imposed time out but have been following you a bit. I would say "Do you ever sleep?", but people in glass houses and all.. 😆

Edited by Galilea

@Galilea That is really great that you not only know who Doc Savage is, but also have some of his comic books. The only two statues on my desk are both Doc Savage, the aforementioned bronze bust and the bronze-colored one of him fighting a huge snake. Over the years I've grown to have a big comic book collection, and although I have a few Doc Savages, my collection is mostly super heroines, including a deep set of Wonder Woman books. Actually the watch world is part of the reason I let they comic books fall by the wayside.  What Marvel titles have you collected?

@JohnR725 I've been lucky enough to have visited London on numerous occasions so I'm just stopping there to meet up with some friends before going on to Hamburg, Berlin and Leipzig, cities I've never visited.  Then to Switzerland to visit, along with my wife, my sister-in-law who lives in a town called Lutry, just outside of Lausanne.