List of recommended start up tools needed please for a noob

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

If you look up the suicide rate of medical people dentistry I believe is the number one.

Yeah, I think it's true. I thought it would have to be psychiatry, considering all the depressing patients and the stories they bring.

I had a friend, one year my senior, who took his own life. You would never have guessed from his happy-go-lucky personality that he would do something like that. He had an identical twin brother who was a little weird and had a real gloomy personality. I would have thought he would be the one.

In my 36 year career, we have lost 4 dentist to suicide. I don't know what it is about our profession that drives us to suicide. 

I would think horology would be a more suicide prone profession. You know, you're stuck in a little room, surrounded by things that go tick tock and cuckoo all day long....

Take care of yourselves and talk to friends and God if you are feeling down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Yeah, I think it's true. I thought it would have to be psychiatry, considering all the depressing patients and the stories they bring.

I had a friend, one year my senior, who took his own life. You would never have guessed from his happy-go-lucky personality that he would do something like that. He had an identical twin brother who was a little weird and had a real gloomy personality. I would have thought he would be the one.

In my 36 year career, we have lost 4 dentist to suicide. I don't know what it is about our profession that drives us to suicide. 

I would think horology would be a more suicide prone profession. You know, you're stuck in a little room, surrounded by things that go tick tock and cuckoo all day long....

Take care of yourselves and talk to friends and God if you are feeling down.

Thats one of the last professions i would have thought. Certainly no money worries, I wonder why.  🤔 yeah not good to be stuck in a room by yourself. We are sociable creatures that are meant go be in groups. Doesn't make sense to me though, i don't like people 😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

You know, you're stuck in a little room, surrounded by things that go tick tock and cuckoo all day long....

Beam me to there, please, I would love it. In my profession (which I loved even more), i spent 30 years facing a wall (or ceiling, or floor), interacting with a canvas and whatever I was putting on it, saying "good" or "not good" in my head with every stroke i laid down. Make a horologist's work environment seem like a party.

13 minutes ago, Galilea said:

Beam me to there, please, I would love it. In my profession (which I loved even more), i spent 30 years facing a wall (or ceiling, or floor), interacting with a canvas and whatever I was putting on it, saying "good" or "not good" in my head with every stroke i laid down. Make a horologist's work environment seem like a party.

🤔 I'm thinking you maybe should elaborate what you used to do, just in case there is any confusion among us 😆

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

🤔 I'm thinking you maybe should elaborate what you used to do, just in case there is any confusion among us 😆

All who are confused, please raise your hand... (scans the entire forum, no hands are up).

No, looks like I'm all good buddy.

17 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

unfortunately and dentistry a lot of things can be bad for your health. One of the dentist I had had to retire because she got carpal tunnel syndrome I think that's what it was called and basically she couldn't user hands anymore. Which is really sad because I thought she was the most outstanding dentist I ever had.

I know a lot of dentists with bad backs.

When I first started in this hobby this past spring, I had the worst pain in my neck after about 1 week... the cause, my posture.  My chair was simply too high.  Once I corrected that, it helped a lot and no back pain since.