Certina ETA 2825-2 , grade of the movement.

ETA 2825-2  comes in , standard, elabore, top grade and Chronometer grade.

I have a Chance to buy this at a discount, have asked the seller for a pic that balance can be seen in, plus numbers on the back plate so I can confirm genuineness and the grade.

https://esam.ir/item/25970815/ساعت-سرتینا-DS-4-اتوماتیک-اورجینال

Can the grade be recognised by other features ?

Appreciate your opinion and pray God  blesses you with five more kids.😁

Rgds

I think the difference between standard and elabore is that standard has no  decoration. There is a difference in number of adjusted positions 2 vs 3 respectively. I seem to remember being told the only difference between top and chronometer is that the second has done full certification.

this link has more information and might help Joe

https://calibercorner.com/eta-grades/

Tom

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tom,

Here is a clear picture of the back plate seller sent me, winder rotor is the new fancy color I am not familiar with . have seen some chrome plated ones have some decoration on the rotor.  no decoration can be seen on this movement and the sticker obstructs the balance, if glucydur it be 3 adjustments.

https://static.esam.ir/Images/Internalmessage/49785567/1689934688057.jpg

I was thinking numbers on back plate will help to decern which grade this is. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tom.

I always look at the balance (I know you know this @Nucejoe )- the glucydur balance as used in Top and Chronometer grades, have curved spokes, as on the right in the pic.  The nickel balance (used in Standard, Elabore grades) has the straight spokes.

Other than that, I don't know.

From what I've read, all the differences are balance, shock jewels, pallet and escape wheel. So you need to see the balance.

image.png.3b6ef1713bb23739e0d4bf1ab70ef47b.png

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, Thanks Tom .

Yes,  balance covered by the sticker raised my doubts, whats just as bad is that this site deletes requests for voice recording, a recoring of the tic ing sound would helped. I am going to pass on this one.

Rgds

10 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

ETA 2825-2  comes in , standard, elabore, top grade and Chronometer grade.

I have a Chance to buy this at a discount, have asked the seller for a pic that balance can be seen in, plus numbers on the back plate so I can confirm genuineness and the grade.

https://esam.ir/item/25970815/ساعت-سرتینا-DS-4-اتوماتیک-اورجینال

Can the grade be recognised by other features ?

Appreciate your opinion and pray God  blesses you with five more kids.😁

Rgds

Bless you with five more kids ?  Do you actually have children Joe 🤣

10 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

ETA 2825-2  comes in , standard, elabore, top grade and Chronometer grade

out of curiosity how do you know it comes in those four different grades?

The reason I ask is to look up the movement I get a link like this

https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-2825-2/

now the problem with the link above is this movement appears to only be found in Swatch group movements. That brings up the problem of it probably isn't out in the wild and it probably only comes in configurations for Swatch group in other words it wouldn't come in all four grades that you indicate it probably came in 2 grades neither one of which you can look at and tell the difference. Oh and if you look at the above link it tells you the balance jewel protection system

now it is based on 2824-2 for which I can attach a file the manufacturing information. This is where you get all the technical specifications of the various movements. Where you will see this movement comes in four grades.

let's look at the differences for the Standard Elaboré looking through the list which isn't as nice as nice of all of them are together it makes it easier to compare but still balance protection system Etachocs.  Pallet jewels you get this Polyruby, epilame–coated.  balance wheel will be the most visible you get this Nickel gilt in other words is white colored easy to spot. Then you have differences like they hairspring but you can't visually see that I've even occasionally seen were mainsprings are different for the different grades but you can't see that either

now for the Top Chronomètre  balance protection system of course different it's Incabloc. pallet jewels Red ruby, epilame–coated. Balance wheel of course visually a pretty gold color Glucydur gilt, blind holes. then basically the difference between these two top grades are whether one gets chronometer certified or not they're basically identical somebody has to take the time to tweak it and then they send it off to get chronometer certified. So otherwise they're basically identical.

Also while you're looking at the manufacturing sheet notice the interesting descriptions of balance staff for instance Epilame–coated, flat ends. For all those people who like to aggressively polish their pivots the ends are supposed to be flattish and their epilam coded to keep the oil from running down the staff. Which you never see mentioned in the technical sheets.

oh and back to the original question what makes you think the 2825 comes in four grades? I do according to Swatch group it only comes into grades here's the easy way to show you timing specifications complements of Swatch group

image.thumb.png.92e9b7889517d53ade3f22dbd485c218.png

ETA 2824-2 - Manufacturing Information.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Bless you with five more kids ?  Do you actually have children Joe 🤣

Ha ha,  Ya two sons, first of American mother and the second Iranian mother, as in ( eye rain ian) as some American pronounce it.

I know   ?! ?!     I  done made a mess to prove my stupidity.

I got the basic tools to prove more stupidity though.

So @JohnR725  is the only way to tell  which one we have, analyse-ing  timegrapher output?  

Back to Seiko LM for me.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Ha ha,  Ya two sons, first of American mother and the second Iranian mother, as in ( eye rain ian) as some American pronounce it.

I know   ?! ?!     I  done made a mess to prove my stupidity.

I got the basic tools to prove more stupidity though.

So @JohnR725  is the only way to tell  which one we have, analyse-ing  timegrapher output?  

Back to Seiko LM for me.

Bless ya Joe not stupidity mate, you do what you do because it feels right at the time.  I've  got two kids and wouldn't be without em or change em for the world. Haha yar I'm 56 and mine still works perfectly as well just ask my missus, just adapted so as not to produce any more rugrats 🤣

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

is the only way to tell  which one we have, analyse-ing  timegrapher output?  

I suppose technically this gets complicated. For instance Seiko almost any Seiko you can bring it to the shop where work and he will charge a fee just under $100 varies between the watch he will regulate it to chronometer timekeeping. So on the timing machine it will look really good but you know that chronometer specifications aren't necessarily measured on a timing machine. But still he'll regulate the Seiko is down the really close so they look really nice on the timing machine it still doesn't make the watch a chronometer.

So by theory yes on the timing machine it should look better if it's chronometer grade. except your caliber only comes into grades and they're not chronometer.

Suppose you weren't getting a chronometer grade watch from the brand you indicate you should get one of these Heather was chronometer grade watches are supposed to come with chronometer grade certification like this then I really have studied the pictures on the link above does look like you have a certificate. I guess it all really comes down to do you trust the seller or not and if you don't like it could just send it back.

image.png.b0bdfafe0be32e7d58fd866ee2cbb1e4.png

now just a reminder Swatch group is paranoid over who gives out there documentation which is why they market with watermarks and other security features because? So this means if somebody did have access the best you're going to get is them to snip out things for you. So for instance the manufacturing information for the 2825-2 is similar to the other documents that you can find out in the wild there is only two grades which are Standard Elaboré no chronometer grade. Now the various brands themselves conceivably of change stuff like how the watches regulated.

so for instance if you had but you don't manufacturing information he would find out two grades and their timing specification

image.png.bf1a56c83df27f4ac45a77344dcff47b.png

image.png.be4a1b4b29f043cb59ff475f14641bbe.png

• Thanks 1