Calipers/micrometer?

24 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

A few questions about calipers/ micrometers.  Do you own both and use them for different tasks?  Do you prefer Vernier scale or digital? Is there a big difference in quality between manufacturers, if so what do you use?  

Yes yes yes and yes 🙂

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Yes yes yes and yes 🙂

Is it time to answer sensibly yet ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

Callipers are fine for “rough “ work, micrometer is better for finer accuracy but for pivot and jewels you need something like a JKA feintaster. Different levels of accuracy and fine measurement.

Tom

Thanks for answering sensibly Tom, you took the words from my mouth. I will add that i do have a cheap digital vernier gauge that is very accurate ( maybe i was just lucky ) that i use to take a particular measurement from a balance staff.

5 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Yes. 

Are you sure ? Its a risky idea you have there Richard 🙂

4 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks for answering sensibly Tom, you took the words from my mouth. I will add that i do have a cheap digital vernier gauge that is very accurate ( maybe i was just lucky ) that i use to take a particular measurement from a balance staff.

Are you sure ? Its a risky idea you have there Richard 🙂

I'm no wimp, give it your best.  

• Haha 1

I use Mitutoyo digital calipers for large stuff, where I don't mind being off +- a hundredth of a mm. When I need to split hundredths, it's a micrometer. I prefer non-digital ones as they are lighter and more compact, I find digitals cumbersome. Then there's an array of bench mics, with various shaped spindles and anvils, horizontal and vertical, and some indicating bench mics that will reliably measure to microns. Large mics for diameters up to 75mm, internal mics, I think there's at least a couple dozen around the shop haha. But a good caliper and regular 0-25mm mic covers most everything. Digital or vernier is a matter of choice.

Mitutoyo for digital calipers are by far the best on the market, mine are over 20 years old and run at least a couple years on a battery (I never turn them off), and check out spot-on on gage blocks like when they were new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use the Bergeon (the one on the left) when on the bench and need a basic measurement.

I use the JKA (center) when measuring a staff (or wheel pivots, etc.) and willing to go to the extra effort of fetching it and opening it up.  It consumes bench space, so I use it only when its features are necessary.

I use the caliper on the right when working on my lathe.

I used a Mutitoyo digital caliper (not shown) for crystals, stems, crowns, etc.

BTW, I picked the Bergeon for $47 plus shipping and tax on ebay.  It was a steal.

image.thumb.png.9239c0fa1c3bd299002ea2232187ee83.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 3