Howdy folks,

I am trying to replace a balance staff on a PW and am having difficulty centering the plate hole that i  want to use.  I have a FR Inverting Set staking set.  The pointiest stake is the FR1 but it's not small enough to center the smallest eight holes.  i have two questions.  1. what's the best way to center the hole without the set punch.  i'm thinking to try to line up a stake with a center hole over the staff pivot, or maybe it'd be safer for the hole to go all the way over the staff so i don't damage the pivot.  Any tips?  2.  Does anyone have a set punch they'd be willing to part with.  Thank you.  Arron.

set punch.jpg

Do you have tiny drill bits? If you have one that matches the hole you want to use, you could put it in a punch with a the same size hole and use that to center it. Assuming the hole in the punch is deep enough to keep the bit straight. I don't really know if that's the case.

thanks for the creative idea.  unfortunately, i couldn't get it to work; i don't have bits small enough to reach the smallest hole and the small bits i tried were too loose in the stake to stay straight.  so i'll keep on the look out for a proper set punch.  Arron.