Sellita barrel complete interchangeable with ETA dito?

I have an ETA 2804-2 (manually wound) movement that doesn't run well at all. I'll take it apart soon and will start the fault-finding. I don't know what the problem could be at this stage but for some reason, I think I might be needing a new barrel complete for it. Checking CousinsUK, it's clear that none is to be had from ETA (restricted šŸ™), but I thought that Sellita's dito (calibreĀ SW215-1) might work. Anyone who knows or dares to make a guess?

7 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I have an ETA 2804-2 (manually wound) movement that doesn't run well at all. I'll take it apart soon and will start the fault-finding. I don't know what the problem could be at this stage but for some reason, I think I might be needing a new barrel complete for it. Checking CousinsUK, it's clear that none is to be had from ETA (restricted šŸ™), but I thought that Sellita's dito (calibreĀ SW215-1) might work. Anyone who knows or dares to make a guess?

Eyup watchie. This is where Sellita put together movements for ETA for something like 50 years. Then began to make their own copies for out of patent registered ETAs. I wouldn't know if they were interchangeable but i have read that they initially had problems with different calibres to the one you mentioned. Personally i would be weary , you do right to ask ,hopefully someone with more than a couple of experiences of a swap of parts will give you an answer. Aquiring new parts is becoming more and more difficult for us mere mortal repairers. The switch to repairing clocks is looking more alluring.Ā 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VWatchie said:

barrel complete

At the link below top right-hand side we see the image that I've snipped out

image.png.ab63876e2ed627971223b208ecf34a8c.png

That looks like your barrel complete.

https://www.ofrei.com/page1439.html#35376

8 hours ago, VWatchie said:

but I thought that Sellita's dito (calibreĀ SW215-1) might work

Here's a link that talks about it but I don't see a parts cross reference listing

https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-2804-2/

Then cross reference part number comes up with the image below but notice they don't have a letter a on the end of the numbers so no idea what that means or how it changes things.

image.png.eec0a946a2a5a16c0fa58133c22ff2e2.png

This is where because the Watch has been made for a while you need to reach out to physical material houses and ask if they have the barrel complete. Like a lot of the website say not everything is listed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

That looks like your barrel complete.

I saw that earlier today. However, considering the price it will just be crazy expensive to import it to Europe, probably around $50 (25 % of what I paid for the watch). The restriction on parts (at least in Europe) is just pure greed and evilĀ šŸ˜ 

Anyway, thanks for the effort!Ā šŸ‘

33 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

The restriction on parts (at least in Europe) is just pure greed and evil

Somewhere out there that used to be a website made by professional watchmakers to alert customers to brands that will not sell parts to anyone Is not just a European thing nobody can get parts unless you somehow have an account with the brand which is very difficult to do and then has issues.

One of the reasons I pointed out that the mainspring barrel was available off Website is that which I also pointed out it's conceivable that other material houses around the planets might have a mainspring barrel for you. Not all parts are on line you have to ask.

For instance to give you a clue what the problem. Seiko it one time before they had their stuff online gave the data to the material house basically is a really big text file. So I got to write a database program and import the data. This was the casing parts and I remember scanning through the database to make sure all the data got imported properly and the rest of these thousand items in the database. Bob the owner of the material house was unhappy because each year they drop the old stuff in favor the new stuff but the watchmaker won't need the new stuff for several years. The point of me telling you this is there were 50,000 casing parts in the Seiko database this is why all the material from then until now is not on line only the most popular stuff is online typically that is why out in the universe the used to be physical material houses they still exist just have to track him down and ask them if they have the parts in your case find somebody closer to home.

In a that are find a scrap watch off of eBay and hope to get good parts off of it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

keep your political opinions to the appropriate section.

I've learned there's no political section on WRT period. But surely, expressing a bit of frustration over manufacturers' parts restrictions I think we can allow, no? And I don't think that sorts under anything political. I take it you probably thought I was criticising the EU but I was not (although German tanks are again rolling east šŸ˜§). As the original spring was available in the US, I thought perhaps parts restrictions were limited to Europe by ETA and other watch manufacturers.

9 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

So stop it.

So stop it what? There aren't any political opinions in my posts, or do you mean stop expressing my frustration over parts restrictions which has nothing even remotely to do with political decisions made inĀ legislative assemblies?

• Like 3

Don't see anything political in VWatchie's post, just his frustration at the greed of some manufacturers in the watch industry, wanting to control every aspect of the repair of their watches, even though that means their customers receive and overpriced and often inferior service (inferior because they are not funding the training of repair technicians) making their loyal customers wait longer and longer for repairs that they charge high prices for.

Certain sections of the watch industry are now just one big money making cartel and have nothing but contempt for their customer'sĀ 

It's not a political statement it's a business statement šŸ˜‰

• Like 2