Clock mainspring winder

Hi all, question for the clock guys, OH or WW may have seen a similar model. This isn't my thing yet but it came in a lot of tools. I will probably keep it as you never know but not sure about the quality or if its safe, i understand clock mainsprings can be treacherous if handled incorrectly. The quality looks quite rough but it does have Germany stamped on it. I don't think anything is missing but i take it spring retainers would be used along with it. 

20230612_194552.jpg

20230612_194541.jpg

By the construction of it it is used for loop end springs which slide the loop on the plain shaft and the spring on the arbour then wind, once under the tension.    a C clamp is used to keep it to gether whilst fitting to the clock alternatively a stout wire is wrapped round it and cut off when fitted.  I built my own got use with the ansonia open springs somewhat lighter in construction. That one could wind a tank in.  Nicely made too all the same.  Yes clock springs have to treated with great respect with regards to the power factor could sever a finger if not avery nasty cut.   Glad to say for all the years I have worked on clocks all my own fingers are still attached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

By the construction of it it is used for loop end springs which slide the loop on the plain shaft and the spring on the arbour then wind, once under the tension.    a C clamp is used to keep it to gether whilst fitting to the clock alternatively a stout wire is wrapped round it and cut off when fitted.  I built my own got use with the ansonia open springs somewhat lighter in construction. That one could wind a tank in.  Nicely made too all the same.  Yes clock springs have to treated with great respect with regards to the power factor could sever a finger if not avery nasty cut.   Glad to say for all the years I have worked on clocks all my own fingers are still attached.

Thanks for the info WW, its a reaĺly simple design not top quality by any means but i think I'm comparing ot to the precision of watch tools. It was virtually for nothing as the job lot of tools only came to £46 , i ended up with an almost unused poising tool which was all i was after, included 2 balance screw holders, jeweller vice, truing calipers, brass drivers, overcoiling tweezers and 3 boxes of pivot drills. I expect i will use this at some point as i already have around 10 clocks.

16 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I have never seen this model before but agree with watchweasol it is for open loop springs so it has a limited use. 

Both my hands and all my fingers are still with me. 

Thanks OH, i have yet to fjnd out what open loop means but i have a clock repair book on its way. I've managed 40 years of using rips saws cross cut saws 24 " blade table saws brick saws and every other power saw imaginable. If i lose  a finger now I will be very peeved 🙂

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Hi. You would need a hook attachment to hold the other punched end springs,  just drill the bracket near the outer end or remove the post if that’s possible and attach a strong hook though the hole/slot.  The spring would fit onto the arbour the hook in the spring end then keeping control of the spring ( gloved hand) wind up as normal and clamp or wire up, or if you have them retainer shells/rings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I would just like to add to what watchweasol has just said.  You could drill and tap the hole and screw in a screw.

Thank you chaps, i was a bit unsure if it was of any use as it was almost a freebie, and i half expected you to say its rubbish chuck it in the bin.  After your help I'm now sure its worth hanging on to. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi New. On its own it’s an interesting tool another variation of getting the job done,  by the way it should be clamped in a vies to use efficiently.  But i guess you realised that.

Yes thanks WW, i noticed it has at the bottom the typical solid block with a ledge for clamping to vice.

• Like 1