Hamilton 9399 with ETA 963.113

Hi All

I have an old Hamilton 9399 which stopped working... At first I thought it was just the battery which I have replaced by a brand new one but the second dial is stuck... it tries to move but doesn't tick to the next second... 

I have removed the stem and tried to push the second hand by hand and also turned the caliber screw but not change...

I have made a video to show the issue...

Has anyone seen this issue before and how can I troubleshooting this ?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by pioroman

11 hours ago, pioroman said:

I have an old Hamilton

Old any idea how old?

it tries to move but doesn't tick to the next second

Old mechanical quartz watch. Contrary to popular belief the quartz watches never need to clean that is incorrect. They need A servicing just like any other mechanical watch otherwise you will get this typically.

I have removed the stem and tried to push the second hand by hand and also turned the caliber screw but not change

Pushing the hand probably is going to be in your best interest. Then the screw you mean the one in the circuit board? That's for timekeeping adjustment it would have zero effect as you found out on your problem.

This particular movement has come up at least twice before you should Be able to do a search.

Then I'm attaching the technical sheet for the watch you'll notice that the part number isn't quite right but somewhere in there is a cross reference to the parts. The reason I'm giving you this one rather than the exact one is because this one has how to service the movements. Most of the technical documentation that online the purpose of it is for parts and they don't always have the servicing part.

938_Eta 963.114, 963.124.pdf

• 4 months later...

ok so I got the line free tester.. and it turns ok when forced. (new battery was left inside)...  but as soon as I move it away from the tester... it tries to move the hand but doesn't get through.... so what would be the next step ? lub or is something else dead ?

Edited by pioroman

nope but curious and wanting to learn...  JohnR725 posted some servicing diagrams... so I might give it a shot... do you recon that greasing would be the next thing to try ?  not sure what oil to buy and dont want to spend much either... if you have any recommendations that would be great (Aliexpress)...

Also may be I can do a small disassembly and lub (e.g. not remove the hands as I dont have the tools and it looks fragile)

3 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Unfortunately there is no shortcut to servicing a quartz watch.

Yes like a mechanical watch no shortcuts for servicing.

3 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Watch this video by this forum's creator on servicing a quartz watch.

Be warned the video skips things that ideally should be done when servicing a quartz watch. He does not have the electrical checks that really should do because of course he probably doesn't have the test equipment and neither do you. In other words you just have to assume that your circuit is working because you don't have the proper equipment and you can't measure the current consumption to see how well things are working.

Then as this is a servicing video and not necessarily a procedural video he's missing a really important step. This is where he carefully disassemble such as all the parts and then in the next video he reassembles but in between the watch was run through the cleaning machine which you do not have.

3 hours ago, pioroman said:

nope but curious and wanting to learn...  JohnR725 posted some servicing diagrams... so I might give it a shot... do you recon that greasing would be the next thing to try ?  not sure what oil to buy and dont want to spend much either... if you have any recommendations that would be great (Aliexpress)...

Also may be I can do a small disassembly and lub (e.g. not remove the hands as I dont have the tools and it looks fragile)

Now we get interesting conflict here you would like to learn? But you don't want to spend much money and unfortunately this is watch repair were an endless supply a tools conceivably will be needed.

I know how but another video I'm trying to think about what I want to give this video thumb down because it is exactly what you want to do although for unknown reasons he takes the front of the watch a part.  The only reason I'm giving you the video is it's the same caliber and he's basically doing a quick cleaning and it's a miracle the watch will run at all the way he's doing this.

https://youtu.be/vT6INP4VjE0?si=IUu8sXTl9Pviv93W

Oh if you think the hands look fragile just wait until you try to put the gear train of the rotor back together. The videos of putting quartz watches together might look simple but it's not really simply get the gear train in. One thing the rotor is magnetic it keeps wanting to stick to everything in the wheels typically don't like to stay wherever you put them.

Oh and there's a classic problem with YouTube videos they never show you the problems they only show you how easy and simple everything is. So a lot of times people come to this discussion group with the thought that watch repairs going to be super simple easy because they saw the video that makes it look easy.

To properly serviced this watch is going to be disassembled like marks video shows. Cleaned was some sort of cleaning procedure in other words a solvent until it's all nice and clean. Reassembled and you could probably get by with two lubricants some grease for the keyless and setting parts and that extremely light synthetic oil for the rest of the watch. Unfortunately you're not going to find those lubricants on Ally express as quick look shows mystery oils. In other words zero specification so you have no idea what they really are or are not.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 10:52 AM, pioroman said:

Hi All

I have an old Hamilton 9399 which stopped working... At first I thought it was just the battery which I have replaced by a brand new one but the second dial is stuck... it tries to move but doesn't tick to the next second... 

I have removed the stem and tried to push the second hand by hand and also turned the caliber screw but not change...

I have made a video to show the issue...

Has anyone seen this issue before and how can I troubleshooting this ?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Yippy I have managed to get it going by putting some lub ...   now I want to replace the glass... but how do I remove the stem ? I don't see a button to push ? what is the trick to remove it ? (I dont remember how I did it last time!)

Edited by pioroman

39 minutes ago, pioroman said:

.. but how do I remove the stem ? I don't see a button to push ? what is the trick to remove it ? (I dont remember how I did it last time!)

Push the setting lever vertically where the dot is („PUSH“) and it should come up releasing the stem („LIFT“).

IMG_5912.jpeg.09efb50db4697263a777f1f4856e566d.jpeg

Edited by Kalanag