Opinion: do you remove the crown from the stem when cleaning?

For general cleaning, do you clean the stem and crown as one piece or remove the crown every time?

I've been defaulting to leaving it in place, but I'm just curious what other folks are doing.

Edited by ManSkirtBrew
clarity

2 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

For general cleaning, do you clean the stem and crown as one piece or remove the crown every time?

Depending upon the watch the crown is supposed to be Loctite  to the stem and normally wouldn't remove this unless you are replacing it. Then I've heard it suggested that running a waterproof crown through the cleaning machine is undesirable. Just can't quite remember why it may be that the silicon greases get in the cleaning fluid which is bad or the gaskets don't like to be in the cleaning fluid.

So basically can leave the stem in crown out of the cleaning fluid if you're concerned

• Like 1

I always clean them as one unit, I hadn't considered removing the crown until I just read your question. Now I think about it I would think the risk of damage to either the stem or crown far outweighs any potential reward.

Obviously if either are damaged then this changes things and I would switch out the damaged part.

Ever since I lost a crown while wearing a watch I always at least try to remove the crown. If I can't get the crown off by holding the stem in a pin vise and then using moderate force with my other hand, then I will leave it on the stem and clean as a unit. If it comes off then I clean separately and loctite the crown after cleaning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Depending upon the watch the crown is supposed to be Loctite  to the stem and normally wouldn't remove this unless you are replacing it. Then I've heard it suggested that running a waterproof crown through the cleaning machine is undesirable. Just can't quite remember why it may be that the silicon greases get in the cleaning fluid which is bad or the gaskets don't like to be in the cleaning fluid.

So basically can leave the stem in crown out of the cleaning fluid if you're concerned

Those jewelled end crowns 🤔 are they jewels or glass or plastic ? Some are plastic and dont like cleaning fluids, ask me how i know this. 🙂

• 2 months later...