Building An Eta 6498 Watch

i've taken this thread a bit off topic - i just wanted to tell the OP that your watch is beautiful. i'm a sucker for pilot watches. the dial is a tad large, but i'm interested in seeing your fix. this is a great idea and i've got to build my own watch. i'm a bit leary of any chinese clone movements - or should i be leary? are they comparable to say, an ETA?

anf thank you, sendikumar for your links and info. good job.

• Like 1

Hi ramrod,

The ETA clones for this case (6498 et al ) are OK and look good. They are fairly precise too. How strong are they? I don't know, but one thing is for sure, they are a fraction of the price and have the same dimensions and even looks. I have made a couple of watches this way and haven't had any problems with them so far. Considering the case is also a cheap case, what else should we put inside? Now, in my mind, if you had a nice case with sapphire crystal and rated more than 5 atm, it will deserve a true (read expensive) Swiss movement. Another option I find more fun is to buy old 6498/97 movements (old watches, etc) and after a good service/repair use it in one of those cases.

I hope these thoughts help, 

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 2

i've taken this thread a bit off topic - i just wanted to tell the OP that your watch is beautiful. i'm a sucker for pilot watches. the dial is a tad large, but i'm interested in seeing your fix. this is a great idea and i've got to build my own watch. i'm a bit leary of any chinese clone movements - or should i be leary? are they comparable to say, an ETA?

anf thank you, sendikumar for your links and info. good job.

I have couple of Chinese, one is 6497 and it is perfect.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk