Hello from Wichita, Kansas

parttimer

I'm not very sure how well this will go over here, but I'm not a watchmaker at all. But I'm a lifelong lover of horology, especially antique American and some European clocks.

To jump to why I'm here, I'm mostly here to (hopefully) discuss TOOLS! I got my first watchmaker's lathe at a local swap meet. It was marked $100, but the seller let me have it for $50. It came with a headstock and tipover T-rest, but no tailstock. It was stamped with the name RIVETT on one end - I'd never heard of them, so I started my online research. Anyway, that was 2012 and little did I know I was starting down the Rivett rabbithole! The more I learned about the company the more intrigued I was. I found a guy in Oregon who seemed to be the only expert in Rivett history - I learned a lot from him.

I have other Rivitt lathes, but my original No. 2b Rivett Watchmaker's Lathe #2138 still sits bolted to my bench, and I use it for all sorts of projects.

Lately I've been sorting through my Rivett Staking Tool, the 54-stake version. Not being a watchmaker, I don't really know what all the stakes & stumps are for, but lately I've been sorting through the stakes from that set and another set I bought online. I've found several anomolies in the numbers & codes the stakes are stamped with. In any case, it's a fascinating collecting hobby and I'm hoping I can learn from the experts and professionals here - if you can deal with my questions.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Hello and welcome.  People on here are more than happy to discuss tools.  We like photos, everyone likes to see what you have. 

Thank you. I have some pictures of my lathe and other clock repair tools but not with me just now. If I can find them I'll post later on.

• Like 2

Thank you all very much for a warm welcome! I truly appreciate it.

I haven't found my photos of my current setup for my Rivett model 2b watchmaker's lathe just yet (I know they're lurking somewhere on my hard drive), but for now I'll just post a few pictures of my Rivett staking tool set. This is the 54-stake version instead of the complete 100-stake version.

I'm not sure how many pictures I'm allowed to share here on my introduction, so rest assured I have a few more than just these.

IMG_8269.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_8273.JPG

IMG_8275.JPG

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement.

I deal manly with the clock questions and problems. 

Thank you oldhippy!