Complete Novice Jum/7 Schatz

Hi I've just started a repair cafe and one of our volunteers registered in a Schatz Jum/7 clock. We shouldn't have accepted it as we have no expert clock repairers but one of our enthusiastic volunteers decided to have ago! 

Anyway it ended up in bits..... 

We've put part of our back together but was after some help. 

We've noticed one of the wheels pins has snapped off and we believe it had been over wound. 

At the very least we'd like to put this back together or if anyone thinks they can help repair it that would be appreciated. It's not been working for over ten years.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20230416_223956.jpg

IMG_20230415_161710.jpg

To start with you cannot overwind a clock or a watch. When someone doesn't know what they are doing this sort of thing can happen. These anniversary clocks can be very temperamental to repair. The pivot has been broken off, so a new pivot would have to be made and fitted or a complete new wheel would have to be found. We need to see the complete back plate to I D the clock. It might be possible to find an old movement or the part on ebay. It will cost a lot of money to get this clock working again this will depend on the repair and parts, The suspension spring will need to be replaced (that is the very thin spring with a block at each end and a fork part way down from the top block. In the end It probably won't be worth repairing. I hope you have good insurance that covers you for this type of thing. A new clock will cost over £100 here in the UK with that type of movement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

To start with you cannot overwind a clock or a watch. When someone doesn't know what they are doing this sort of thing can happen. These anniversary clocks can be very temperamental to repair. The pivot has been broken off, so a new pivot would have to be made and fitted or a complete new wheel would have to be found. We need to see the complete back plate to I D the clock. It might be possible to find an old movement or the part on ebay. It will cost a lot of money to get this clock working again this will depend on the repair and parts, The suspension spring will need to be replaced (that is the very thin spring with a block at each end and a fork part way down from the top block. In the end It probably won't be worth repairing. I hope you have good insurance that covers you for this type of thing. A new clock will cost over £100 here in the UK with that type of movement. 

Thanks for the feedback.

The pivot was broken before so we will rebuild and hand it back. 

I've attached a photo of the backplate below.

Any help with how to rebuild is appreciated. 

Cheers

16817541046772104997230084392214.jpg

As the pivot was broken in the first place I no longer need the back plate for I D. If you spread all the parts out I can tell you where the parts go but I will need very good clear photos. The best thing would be to number each one and I can work on that. It's up to you. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 7:47 AM, oldhippy said:

As the pivot was broken in the first place I no longer need the back plate for I D. If you spread all the parts out I can tell you where the parts go but I will need very good clear photos. The best thing would be to number each one and I can work on that. It's up to you. 

Thank you, I've attached the below for reference 

IMG_20230420_200603.jpg

IMG_20230420_200429.jpg

IMG_20230420_200831.jpg

The four screws are to screw the plates together.

Part 5 Pallets the long point should be at the back plate end.

Part 4 goes at the top over the back plate this is the plate that holds the pallets in place and use two of the back plate screws to hold it in place.

Part 2 goes at the bottom over the back plate use the other two plate screws to hold it in place

Part 3 fits onto the barrel arbor that is the part the key fits onto, at the other end there is a square so the ratchet wheel fits on it, it goes on the same way as it is shown in the photo, You might have to move the click a little that is screwed on the plate just a little so the click rests it one of the ratchet wheel teeth.  

Part 1 is the pendulum as there is no suspension spring just leave it at the bottom of the clock.

Any problems just ask.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The four screws are to screw the plates together.

Part 5 Pallets the long point should be at the back plate end.

Part 4 goes at the top over the back plate this is the plate that holds the pallets in place and use two of the back plate screws to hold it in place.

Part 2 goes at the bottom over the back plate use the other two plate screws to hold it in place

Part 3 fits onto the barrel arbor that is the part the key fits onto, at the other end there is a square so the ratchet wheel fits on it, it goes on the same way as it is shown in the photo, You might have to move the click a little that is screwed on the plate just a little so the click rests it one of the ratchet wheel teeth.  

Part 1 is the pendulum as there is no suspension spring just leave it at the bottom of the clock.

Any problems just ask.

Thank you, all back together now

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Boz said:

Hi Sam, I'd be happy to repair the pivot for you -  if you are local drop it and the two plates off. I'm in Suffolk. 

Jules 

Thank you for the offer. I'm quite far away in North Staffordshire. To be honest I've had another look and some of the teeth are damaged on a couple of the wheels also, so looks like at least 2 wheels and the suspension spring would need replacing, and that's just what I can see with my Novice eyes

Not sure if it's worth repairing?

• 10 months later...

Hello, I am wondering if you ever managed to put this clock back together? I would be very interested in purchasing the parts numbered 4/5 in your exploded view.
I know I am a little late to the party but I am in need of these parts . That of course would go for any one else on this web site that may have access to old Schatz jum/7 parts

cheers Andrew