My Trupoise arrived yesterday--beautiful

• 3 months later...

How do you like your trupoise have you had chance to try it out, does it work better than the standard poising tool, i've just got one but it didn't come with any instructions on how to use it, there wasn't much online about the trupoise.

I searched ebay for sold items, and found some photos of the instruction manual in the sales pics of a couple of different sellers, these photos seem to be the clearest, the instructions may help anyone else who gets one.

trupoiseinstructions4.jpg

trupoiseinstructions2.jpg

trupoiseinstructions3.jpg

• Like 1

Mine came with those same instructions although tattered more.

I used it yesterday!  It is easier to install the balance than in the conventional tool--at least I think so.

I did not have to make any adjustments, so did not experience the benefit of clamping the balance for adjustment.

7 hours ago, valleyguy said:

How do you like your trupoise have you had chance to try it out, does it work better than the standard poising tool, i've just got one but it didn't come with any instructions on how to use it, there wasn't much online about the trupoise.

I searched ebay for sold items, and found some photos of the instruction manual in the sales pics of a couple of different sellers, these photos seem to be the clearest, the instructions may help anyone else who gets one.

trupoiseinstructions4.jpg

trupoiseinstructions2.jpg

trupoiseinstructions3.jpg

I have 3 of these, dont ask me why, just because. 2 have jewel bearings the other some kind of plastic bearing. Tbh i would only use the truing aspect of it to check not to adjust. It doesn't hold a balance as it should be held to be trued. Calipers make a better job, less likely of pivot damage.

3 hours ago, Waggy said:

Tool envy!

🤤

I would stick to the more traditional poising tool and calipers, I'm not particularly impressed with it, a bit gimmicky imo. Not as accurate for poising as it has more friction and not a good idea to true with it. Pass on one if you see it, unless its cheap, they're usually not.

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2023 at 11:10 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Tbh i would only use the truing aspect of it to check not to adjust. It doesn't hold a balance as it should be held to be trued. Calipers make a better job, less likely of pivot damage.

From the instructions: "Formerly the truing of balances was accompanied by danger of distortion or damage to the balance staff, pivots, and balance wheel rivet."

You can read the entire instructions in this post.

Are you sure you understood the instructions, or am I missing something here? How should a balance be held to be trued?

BTW, I honestly don't mean to sound arrogant but fear I might come across as such. I am genuinely curious to learn more or find out if you possibly made a mistake in assessing the use of this tool. 👍

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

From the instructions: "Formerly the truing of balances was accompanied by danger of distortion or damage to the balance staff, pivots, and balance wheel rivet."

You can read the entire instructions in this post.

Are you sure you understood the instructions, or am I missing something here? How should a balance be held to be trued?

BTW, I honestly don't mean to sound arrogant but fear I might come across as such. I am genuinely curious to learn more or find out if you possibly made a mistake in assessing the use of this tool. 👍

I appreciate the instructions watchie i had not seen them in their entirety. And no I dont consider you as arrogant,I make mistakes all the time and welcome any correction, criticism and discussion,  no problem whatsoever. Im very happy to listen to anyone that knows more than me. So tbh i haven't tried to true a balance wheel on this tool, but i do have a reason for not wanting to. The bearing jewels in the 2 rods are blind jewels ( the hole doesn't go all the way through ). When poising a balance the pivots just rest in the center of the jewel ( the so called free position ) . The instructions suggest pushing the rods closer together to tension the springs behind the jewels, this would have the effect of slight pressure between the two pivot ends. The pivots do not enter into the jewels so that the cone of pivot is supported rather that the pivot unlike a truing caliper does with the use of truing nibs. Sorry if this still seems a bit unclear, i can post some pictures tomorrow that might explain my concern of its use better. Its just my opinion of it at the moment.