Jump to content

My Trupoise arrived yesterday--beautiful


Recommended Posts

  • 3 months later...

How do you like your trupoise have you had chance to try it out, does it work better than the standard poising tool, i've just got one but it didn't come with any instructions on how to use it, there wasn't much online about the trupoise.

 I searched ebay for sold items, and found some photos of the instruction manual in the sales pics of a couple of different sellers, these photos seem to be the clearest, the instructions may help anyone else who gets one.

 

trupoiseinstructions4.jpg

trupoiseinstructions2.jpg

trupoiseinstructions3.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine came with those same instructions although tattered more.

I used it yesterday!  It is easier to install the balance than in the conventional tool--at least I think so.

I did not have to make any adjustments, so did not experience the benefit of clamping the balance for adjustment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, valleyguy said:

How do you like your trupoise have you had chance to try it out, does it work better than the standard poising tool, i've just got one but it didn't come with any instructions on how to use it, there wasn't much online about the trupoise.

 I searched ebay for sold items, and found some photos of the instruction manual in the sales pics of a couple of different sellers, these photos seem to be the clearest, the instructions may help anyone else who gets one.

 

trupoiseinstructions4.jpg

trupoiseinstructions2.jpg

trupoiseinstructions3.jpg

I have 3 of these, dont ask me why, just because. 2 have jewel bearings the other some kind of plastic bearing. Tbh i would only use the truing aspect of it to check not to adjust. It doesn't hold a balance as it should be held to be trued. Calipers make a better job, less likely of pivot damage.

3 hours ago, Waggy said:

Tool envy!

🤤

I would stick to the more traditional poising tool and calipers, I'm not particularly impressed with it, a bit gimmicky imo. Not as accurate for poising as it has more friction and not a good idea to true with it. Pass on one if you see it, unless its cheap, they're usually not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 7/26/2023 at 11:10 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Tbh i would only use the truing aspect of it to check not to adjust. It doesn't hold a balance as it should be held to be trued. Calipers make a better job, less likely of pivot damage.

From the instructions: "Formerly the truing of balances was accompanied by danger of distortion or damage to the balance staff, pivots, and balance wheel rivet."

You can read the entire instructions in this post.

Are you sure you understood the instructions, or am I missing something here? How should a balance be held to be trued?

BTW, I honestly don't mean to sound arrogant but fear I might come across as such. I am genuinely curious to learn more or find out if you possibly made a mistake in assessing the use of this tool. 👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

From the instructions: "Formerly the truing of balances was accompanied by danger of distortion or damage to the balance staff, pivots, and balance wheel rivet."

You can read the entire instructions in this post.

Are you sure you understood the instructions, or am I missing something here? How should a balance be held to be trued?

BTW, I honestly don't mean to sound arrogant but fear I might come across as such. I am genuinely curious to learn more or find out if you possibly made a mistake in assessing the use of this tool. 👍

I appreciate the instructions watchie i had not seen them in their entirety. And no I dont consider you as arrogant,I make mistakes all the time and welcome any correction, criticism and discussion,  no problem whatsoever. Im very happy to listen to anyone that knows more than me. So tbh i haven't tried to true a balance wheel on this tool, but i do have a reason for not wanting to. The bearing jewels in the 2 rods are blind jewels ( the hole doesn't go all the way through ). When poising a balance the pivots just rest in the center of the jewel ( the so called free position ) . The instructions suggest pushing the rods closer together to tension the springs behind the jewels, this would have the effect of slight pressure between the two pivot ends. The pivots do not enter into the jewels so that the cone of pivot is supported rather that the pivot unlike a truing caliper does with the use of truing nibs. Sorry if this still seems a bit unclear, i can post some pictures tomorrow that might explain my concern of its use better. Its just my opinion of it at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • So i've been trying to source a bellmatic dial for some time that's compatible with the bellmatic i own and theres a handful on ebay but none appear to be compatible. Ebay japan doesn't even let me look at listings but i've heard of various ebay like sites in japan where users sell things and it seems like seiko parts like that would be a lot easier to find in japan. I'm not looking for a watch parts specific place but just a place where people in japan would sell watches to each other and parts and that sort of thing among whatever else they want to sell. the phillipines and thailand also seem to be a pretty rich place to find seiko parts so if there's a market in those places i could search too that anybody knows of that might work also. I've heard of a few over the years but i can't remember the names of any of them. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Thanks! You learn something new every day. I wasn't sure about the difference between a beat and an oscillation. So good to know. 2 beats = 1 oscillation.  I sure will. It's going to be interesting. So far I've turned the balance near 300° before letting it go and on a really healthy balance it has been swinging for about 70-90 seconds in the horizontal positions. Anyway, when doing the test, I'll only swing it 180°. I will be surprised to see it swing for only 25 seconds or less, but we shall see. That could be because I've never tried to count oscillations and only assumed it would be impossible or difficult. Anyway, let's see when I get a chance, hopefully in a month or so as I'm still on vacation and far, very far, from a workbench. Here's Kalle Slaap doing the kind of test that I do (start at 12:30). An interesting observation is that when Kalle starts the balance towards the end of the video at 14:40, it oscillates for about 50 seconds before the video ends. It is difficult to judge whether the balance swings more than 180° at the start, but it looks like it could be close to 180°.  
    • Thanks for the comments I ‘ll pay attention to both points. 
    • I noticed at 0:25 the balance stops because it touches the movement holder. Be aware of that, because if you tighten down the movement holder and something is contacting the balance, you're going to have a Bad Day. When you remove the setting lever spring, I've found it's helpful to loosen the screw a couple turns, then lift the arm of the spring off the setting lever to relieve tension on the spring. I do the same thing for installation--get the screw started, then put the spring arm over the post on the setting lever. Otherwise looks okay to my amateur eyes.
    • Welcome @MartinF! Nice to see more Scandinavians. I myself live in Sweden but have Denmark in my heart. I couldn't agree more. Never use force. Get a bigger hammer! 😉
×
×
  • Create New...