Noobie

Hello, Always been a watch enthusiast, wanted to know the ins and outs. I’m taking Mark Lovick’s course, I highly recommend it, went from knowing absolutely nothing a month ago, to fully immersed. I’m a former professional boxer and an oil painter, so I didn’t believe I’d have the dexterity or patience, but it’s all practice. I’ll apologize ahead of time for the dumb questions I’’m bound to ask😂

one thing Mark and I discussed was the use of a microscope, while I agree with him it’s difficult to work at certain angles, I find it invaluable for  examination. I found a cracked jewel hole in the third wheel pivot hole, which I couldn’t see with the loop, maybe it’s because my eye sockets have been broken, but a loop will not stay in place. I’m at the stage now where I can disassemble and reassemble a movement and most actually still work! I also was able to reinstall a mainspring by hand, is a mainspring winder crucial at this stage, or is money better spent elsewhere initially? Thrilled to be here and hope to meet some new horology buddies. Thanks, Mark

2 hours ago, Boxerartist said:

Hello, Always been a watch enthusiast, wanted to know the ins and outs. I’m taking Mark Lovick’s course, I highly recommend it, went from knowing absolutely nothing a month ago, to fully immersed. I’m a former professional boxer and an oil painter, so I didn’t believe I’d have the dexterity or patience, but it’s all practice. I’ll apologize ahead of time for the dumb questions I’’m bound to ask😂

one thing Mark and I discussed was the use of a microscope, while I agree with him it’s difficult to work at certain angles, I find it invaluable for  examination. I found a cracked jewel hole in the third wheel pivot hole, which I couldn’t see with the loop, maybe it’s because my eye sockets have been broken, but a loop will not stay in place. I’m at the stage now where I can disassemble and reassemble a movement and most actually still work! I also was able to reinstall a mainspring by hand, is a mainspring winder crucial at this stage, or is money better spent elsewhere initially? Thrilled to be here and hope to meet some new horology buddies. Thanks, Mark

You're a lot further along than myself friend. I did quite a lot of kickboxing so I feel you on the that. 

• Like 1

It is not so straight forward as just buying a mainspring winder, there are so many some more popular then others, if you had a complete set there are a few you will never use. Don't forget there are many versions of m/spring winders out there. Some while back Mark did a video on the type he has and the Chinese type and he came to the conclusion the Chinese type wasn't very good. They are expensive so be careful. Me I couldn't get on with them I'm whats know as cock handed most of the time I'm left handed but there are times I prefer to use my right and at times I get muddled up.  Ask members for a list of the common ones they use.  

• Like 1