Waltham Winding Stem Removal

Hotrod

I am completely new to watch repair and need some guidance. I have a Waltham winding watch that needs a new crown and stem. I am able to remove the works and wind the watch with a tool and the watch runs. I have not been able to find the stem release. My hope is to order a new stem and crown if possible. This is only the second watch I have attempted to repair. 

The attached photos may help. Any guidance you could provide would be appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Waltham Winder Inside.jpg

Waltham Winder.jpg

3 hours ago, Hotrod said:

I am completely new to watch repair and need some guidance. I have a Waltham winding watch that needs a new crown and stem. I am able to remove the works and wind the watch with a tool and the watch runs. I have not been able to find the stem release. My hope is to order a new stem and crown if possible. This is only the second watch I have attempted to repair. 

The attached photos may help. Any guidance you could provide would be appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Waltham Winder Inside.jpg

Waltham Winder.jpg

Try loosening the highlighted screw 

Screenshot_20230322_165232_Chrome.jpg

Worked great. Took a while, I had to custom fit a screwdriver. I have the stem out but as you can see it is bent. My hope is to order a new stem and crown, but I am not able to identify the proper replacement. The options are just too many. 

The stem length is 12.5 mm but is broken off. The crown diameter is 4.25 mm on a comparable Waltham but it is missing the gold plating. 

I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Would Esslinger send the correct stem with the photo?

Thank you,

Waltham Winder Stem.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2023 at 6:25 AM, Hotrod said:

Waltham

53 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

You need the manufacturer and calibre number.

I see someone beat me to the question which is who made your watch. Extremely, and watch repair that the name on the dial does not reflect to actually made the movement. In this particular case that is probably a Swiss movement but we need to identify it to get your stem or we can do it the hard way.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:01 PM, Hotrod said:

Would Esslinger send the correct stem with the photo?

I'm very sure they would be happy to send you a stem based on the photo. They would have a good laugh there'd be a note saying they don't guarantee that it's going to fit because that's the shape of the standard stem and there's literally thousands of different sizes and shapes of them that all look basically the same. Without the model number of the watch it's not impossible just very difficult.

in the absence of a movement number there is another way to get a stem by it would still be preferred to verify it with a movement number because it still may not be hundred percent right. no notice at the link below they have lots and lots of stems and in the absence of knowing which one you need you can enter in dimensions and  you can do a search for your dimensions and you might be lucky.

https://www.windingstems.com/product.php

• Like 2

Your movement looks to be in the AS 1802/03 family. As mentioned above, there should be a makers mark and numbers under the balance that will help pin it down, and then you can use the illuminating Ranfft database to find a stem designation that you can use to search for a spare part. 

• 8 months later...
On 1/26/2024 at 3:41 AM, JimyG said:

I have a similar issue with my Waltham 65 autochron, the crown unscrewed while advancing the hand now it won’t re-thread, will the similar stem removal process work on this model?

we would need a picture would be helpful if we could see the movement. I have a problem I hear the word Waltham I think American pocket watch and this is not an American pocket watch which is why pictures are nice so we know what we're talking about