Hi all, I picked up a new to me Caravelle watch that I'm not sure exactly when it was made.  I'm not sure how to date this as it doesn't appear to have any model number listed on it (that I can see).  It does have an 11DP movement with 7 jewels, but that is all I know.  Hopefully someone can tell me from the pictures, or tell me how to find the model number.

Does anyone know what the Lift Angle (LA) should be for this movement too?  I looked on one page that lists many of the movements, but I don't see anything regarding LA, so I hope someone may know what the proper LA should be other than just accepting 52.

According to my Witschi data the Caravelle 11DP has a lift angle of 52 degrees.

It's not an in house though, it's actually a re-badged Citizen Homer movement, so if you were to need parts for it and struggled to find anything for a Caravelle 11DP, look for Citizen Homer instead.

• Like 1

There should be a code both on the caseback and on the movement that has a letter followed by a number, for example, 'N7' or 'M8'. The 'N' is for 1970 so N7 is 1977. The 'M' is 1960 so M8 is 1968. On the movement for 11DP's is it often above the "unadjusted" text. Mybulova.com will help identify Bulova's, but not Caravelle's so your best option to identify the model would be to look through ad's from the year in question. If you look on the inside of the caseback there may be a 3 or 4 digit number that you can use to lookup case parts (if needed) in the ABC catalog.

The dial says 'Japan'.

The lift angle for the 11DP is 52 (see attached Bulova Tech Letter).

Bulova List of Lift Angles and Beat Frequency - Technical Letter 34.pdf

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GuyMontag said:

There should be a code both on the caseback and on the movement that has a letter followed by a number, for example, 'N7' or 'M8'. The 'N' is for 1970

Thank you... I do see a N0 on the caseback I believe so that would mean 1970 then?  I also see a N1 in the movement where you say to look.  So N1 would be 1971.  I would think then that the case was made in 1970 (or maybe the caseback was replaced), but the movement was made in 1971?

Greenshot 2023-03-08 13.37.10.png

Greenshot 2023-03-08 13.37.24.png

1 minute ago, kd8tzc said:

Thank you... I do see a N0 on the caseback I believe so that would mean 1970 then?  I also see a N1 in the movement where you say to look.  So N1 would be 1971.  I would think then that the case was made in 1970 (or maybe the caseback was replaced), but the movement was made in 1971?

Greenshot 2023-03-08 13.37.10.png

Greenshot 2023-03-08 13.37.24.png

Yes, that is correct for both dates. It is common to find them off by a year.