Timex M24 and M25 movements

Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to fixing watches.  I have recently started to acquire some older Timex watches and I have a nice Mercury watch that I had hopped to just swap out the movement on as the balance wheel doesn't want to seem to stay in motion.  My plan was to take out the bad and install a good one.  I did order a new movement on Ebay, but the person who sold it to me did not include the Cannon pinion nor the hour gear and hour gear washer.  The initial thought was to take the old one off, but someone had already swapped the movement out previously and stuck an M25 movement in the watch.  If I had an old M24 movement, I could easily add the cannon pinion, gear and washer, but I do not.

I have been trying to work with the seller on Ebay and he said he would send me the items, but I have not heard back from him in a number of days, so I am looking at my other options.

Where is the best place to find inexpensive parts watches?  I was thinking ebay, but you can't always tell what the movement is just based on the look of the watch.  I would think that a 1960s or 1970's era Mercury or Marlin without date would all be a M24 movement, but the one I have proves that is not always the case.

Also, it seems that many of the watches that are listed for parts or repair still want almost working price for them.... so I was hoping there is a place that might be better suited to find these things.

Thanks all for your help, I appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. There really is no secret place to purchase vintage watch parts. Ebay is the normal search for many. It’s always worth contacting  the seller to enquire what is being sold is what you are purchasing..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kd8tzc said:

Also, it seems that many of the watches that are listed for parts or repair still want almost working price for them.... so I was hoping there is a place that might be better suited to find these things.

Welcome.  Indeed, there is quite a bit of inflation in the watch world.  You must be patient.  There have been instances where my patience saved half the cost of an item.  Ebay is about daily searches and waiting for the right thing to come along.  On average, I have probably paid too much for my Ebay purchases.  But, I have gotten some good deals along the way.

Somewhere on this site there is a list of vendors.  I purchased a Levin Collet from Ofrei it was about half of what I found on Ebay...maybe even a little less.  You just have to work hard it finding the deals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi have a look at the Heritage 1854 site it seems to deal exclusively with timex watches and parts.

Thanks... I've been to that site a number of time, but have never seen anything about parts.

4 hours ago, kd8tzc said:

Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to fixing watches.  I have recently started to acquire some older Timex watches and I have a nice Mercury watch that I had hopped to just swap out the movement on as the balance wheel doesn't want to seem to stay in motion.  My plan was to take out the bad and install a good one.  I did order a new movement on Ebay, but the person who sold it to me did not include the Cannon pinion nor the hour gear and hour gear washer.  The initial thought was to take the old one off, but someone had already swapped the movement out previously and stuck an M25 movement in the watch.  If I had an old M24 movement, I could easily add the cannon pinion, gear and washer, but I do not.

I have been trying to work with the seller on Ebay and he said he would send me the items, but I have not heard back from him in a number of days, so I am looking at my other options.

Where is the best place to find inexpensive parts watches?  I was thinking ebay, but you can't always tell what the movement is just based on the look of the watch.  I would think that a 1960s or 1970's era Mercury or Marlin without date would all be a M24 movement, but the one I have proves that is not always the case.

Thanks all for your help, I appreciate it.

well there are many questions being asked her but lets start at the root issue first.   Which is you say the balance wheel stops moving.  Was the movement cleaned and serviced in anyway?   Does it stop in certain positions such as dial side down?

As an side note, Timex did not provide  cannon pinion, gear and washer with NOS or refurbished movements.   Can you add a picture of what was order?

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi have a look at the Heritage 1854 site it seems to deal exclusively with timex watches and parts.

yes, the site is a great resource but has limited detail on vintage Timex repair.  But, if want to id a model there is no better site.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

well there are many questions being asked her but lets start at the root issue first.   Which is you say the balance wheel stops moving.  Was the movement cleaned and serviced in anyway?   Does it stop in certain positions such as dial side down?

As an side note, Timex did not provide  cannon pinion, gear and washer with NOS or refurbished movements.   Can you add a picture of what was order?

I have not inspected the balance wheel enough yet to figure out what the issue is.   This was the old M25 movement, and I think I may have in my haste touched the balance wheel when removing it, so it may just need some adjustment. 

To make matters worse, when I was working on the watch, I accidentally hit the tray that was holding some of the parts for the M25, so I did lose the cannon pinion for that movement as well (can you take an M24 cannon pinion and put it in a M25?)  I know some of the Timex parts are interchangeable, but not sure the answer to this.

With regards to the new movement, it is advertised as a complete refurb.  On his M25 refurbs, he says he does not include the cannon, but on his M24 he does not list that and when I was corresponding with him, he said he must have forgotten to include it and can mail it.  Problem is, I have not heard back from him since then.  He seems to be a little slower to respond to any questions.  I can understand that as he more likely has a life away from the computer.

Here is a link to the sale.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/185783880777

If I had a busted M24 it wouldn't be a big deal as I would just swap those three parts of the busted one and get it all set again.  I guess it will take some time to get a parts watch.

Also, all of my posts say that I have to be approved before my post will show up... how long does that last?  I get the reason for it, and appreciate it, but just frustrating when trying to get help.

Thanks for your help!

(can you take an M24 cannon pinion and put it in a M25?)  No, the M25 is taller that the M24 .  I don't make policy here so can't answer the question about how long it takes for a post to post.   

I can only add that vintage Timex repair and parts sourcing takes time and patience.   After a few years you will have a couple of boxes like this to help out.  But, let me have a look inside for the missing parts for your project.

332389090_748327663674275_8441725464058421134_n.jpg

LOL... nice box of parts... I have a few of those for other things.  What I want to know is how you know what goes into what?  I'm sure your experience just tells you, but I know when I mix them all up like that, I always struggle.  I guess though if you have the watch in front of you that you are trying to fix, just trial and error solves it.

I appreciate you taking the time to look and see if you have anything.

15 hours ago, kd8tzc said:

LOL... nice box of parts... I have a few of those for other things.  What I want to know is how you know what goes into what?  I'm sure your experience just tells you, but I know when I mix them all up like that, I always struggle.  I guess though if you have the watch in front of you that you are trying to fix, just trial and error solves it.

I appreciate you taking the time to look and see if you have anything.

17 years of vintage Timex repair helps a lot 🙂

• Like 2

Okay, so the parts from Mo arrived today (thank you Mo) and I am getting ready to put the serviced M24 that I bought off ebay.  I just wound up the watch to make sure it all runs properly before I start to mess with the pinion and wheel, and I am noticing that under full power, the balance wheel will go for a little bit, and then stop.  So I need to do some investigative work it sounds like. 

What should I look at or do first with this to see what the issue might be?

Just an update... I was able to play with the movement a bit and did get it running.  At first I just had it without the dial on the movement and had it running dial side up, and then tried dial side down, and then back to dial side up.  I was able to get it to run for an hour.  I then put the watch face on and put the hour hand and minute hand on.  I had a really hard time with the second hand, so I just left that off, and let it run again for about an hour.  I then tried the second hand again, and did finally get it on, but the darn thing stopped.  I checked the hands and saw that the hour hand was sticking up and the second hand was hitting it.  I manipulated the second hand a bit to get around it, but now it will not run.  I took the second hand off, and still nothing.  Did I mess something up when I put the second hand on, or manipulated it (just lifted the hand over the hour hand).

I took a video before the watch face being put on, and I don't know, but the balance wheel in slow motion just doesn't look like it's turning as much as it should (I guess that would be the amplitude).  I I have a .MOV file, but I can't upload it here, so here is a link that hopefully you can view. 

On 3/9/2023 at 8:25 PM, kd8tzc said:

No, as I don't have any oils or oilers yet.  Guess I need to get some. 

What oil do you recommend for the m24?

I am currently using a synthetic spreadable oil purchased on ebay.  the oilers I have came from the a watchmaker tool lot.  For me this was the quickest method to acquire tools.  

OIl and OIlers should be here today or tomorrow.  I did use a little lighter fluid around the movement, but that didn't seem to help.  A few days ago, it was running, and then just stopped.  I might just do a full clean on the watch and then re-oil once all that gets here.  The one thing I am trying to figure out is how to oil the balance wheel.  I think I found a video that may help here though.  The thing doesn't run now, so it really can't get any worse (well it can, but ...)