Omega 1030 - repairing damage from broken setting lever.

A friend of mine asked to look at an Omega Geneve he inherited from his late Father-in-Law around 40 years ago. He said it was giving problems both winding and setting the hands. It was no surprise that it has not been serviced under his ownership (he’s a bass player so can just about maintain a plank of wood with four strings), and I would be surprised if it was serviced prior to that.

The movement is a calibre 1030 and, by and large, is very clean and unmarked. However, the keyless works is another story. The setting lever had snapped at the point where it engages the stem and I found the broken piece within the keyless works. The part is discontinued but I managed to find a NOS part which is now on it’s way from Italy.

On further examination under a scope I noticed some damage around the winding pinion slot. A small divot has been raised that I’ve indicated in the attachments. There is also evidence of metal filings, especially on the winding pinion, and wear to the stem barrel in the mainplate.

My concern is that if left unattended, there could be damage to the winding pinion so would welcome some opinion on the best way to proceed. My thoughts are:

a) leave it as it is

b) carefully file and smooth down the damage

c) Tap down the raised piece with a stake and smooth any protrusions.

omega 1.jpg

omega.jpg

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi I think leaving it as it is not an option, If there are metal shavings about the whole watch will need a clean/ oil  damaged area cleaned up and smoothed out with minimum effect to the plate.      cheers

I'm going to give everything a good pre-clean before putting it through the normal cleaning and oiling process. I'm just not sure which tools to use for the damaged area that will repair it but without, as you say, causing any other significant damage to the plate. 

Edited by SpringMangler

12 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Probably just use a burnisher to smooth out any imperfections and maybe a small brass brush  nothing too harsh.

Thank WW. I turned a very small brass tool that I used as a gentle burnisher and after an hour or so I've managed to remove the raised piece without causing any damage to the mainplate. Great recommendation.

Edited by SpringMangler

9 hours ago, SpringMangler said:

Thank WW. I turned a very small brass tool that I used as a gentle burnisher and after an hour or so I've managed to remove the raised piece without causing any damage to the mainplate. 

Can we see a picture of the repaired piece when you call it done, hopefull with success. 

Rgds

15 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Can we see a picture of the repaired piece when you call it done, hopefull with success. 

Rgds

Definitely. Just going to give the plate a clean today.

15 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

What could of cause the damage? 

No idea or what caused it or when it was done. I was surprised to see the broken setting lever and it does look like the broken tip has been jammed in the keyless works and that could have caused some of the friction damage.  

I get the impression it's not been functioning for quite a while and looking at the case and crystal it's had some stick. The mainspring was also broken at the bridle. It's not had a great life for a family heirloom.