Swiss Emperor watch - not winding

Dear all,

Just joined, so thanks for that.

Not sure if anyone is able to advise on this, but I have an old Swiss Emperor watch which has decided to stop winding. It was running for a few years but then just stopped doing so.

When I wind the 'winder' it makes a typical wind-up noise (sorry for the lay language), but doesn't actually wind the watch. If I move the main fingers with this same winder (pulled out), the second hand runs for about 5 secs then stops (it seems to always do this when I move the watch fingers).

Not sure if this is a beyond economical repair, or if this is something I might be able to fix myself.

I've attached pics for additional info (I have the original strap for this btw)

Many thanks for any input/suggestions from members.

2023-01-22-13-43-37-291.jpg

2023-01-22-13-43-56-327.jpg

2023-01-22-13-44-39-731.jpg

2023-01-22-13-45-18-419.jpg

2023-01-22-13-54-27-132.jpg

Hi  the mark suggests its a Ronda 1223-12.  with the back off and watching the ratchet wheel when you turn the crown does the ratchet wheel turn if so as Kalanag said points to a mainspring. If it does not and the keyless work just grinds your problem lies within the keyless work. ie  crown wheel etc.  A parts /tech sheet can be found on cousins uk documentdownloads.   for some reason the one I have will not upload.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tiktokowner said:

When I wind the 'winder' it makes a typical wind-up noise (sorry for the lay language), 

Thats the sound of the CLICK, and hearing it (typical noise ) indicates ratchet wheel turns. Not winding indicates either a broken mainspring or disengaged arbour hook from mainspring eye.

The barrel needs to be pulled/ lid removed to check its inside. 

Your watch is a variant of Ronda 1223 with alarm complication, thats what makes it collectable, not pricy so might not be worth a new mainspring if it needs that. A used mainspring which can be out of other variants as well is economical and you can do it yourself.

We'll work with you to fix it, don't hesitate to ask questions please.

Rgds

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tiktokowner said:

Dear all,

Just joined, so thanks for that.

Not sure if anyone is able to advise on this, but I have an old Swiss Emperor watch which has decided to stop winding. It was running for a few years but then just stopped doing so.

When I wind the 'winder' it makes a typical wind-up noise (sorry for the lay language), but doesn't actually wind the watch. If I move the main fingers with this same winder (pulled out), the second hand runs for about 5 secs then stops (it seems to always do this when I move the watch fingers).

Not sure if this is a beyond economical repair, or if this is something I might be able to fix myself.

I've attached pics for additional info (I have the original strap for this btw)

Many thanks for any input/suggestions from members.

2023-01-22-13-43-37-291.jpg

2023-01-22-13-43-56-327.jpg

2023-01-22-13-44-39-731.jpg

2023-01-22-13-45-18-419.jpg

2023-01-22-13-54-27-132.jpg

All good suggestions as to the cause tiktok. The keyless works and added complication of the alarm looks somewhat tricky compared to anything basic. So take your time and plenty of close clear photos before the removal of each component, especially any spring postions and their orientation.  Also make notes to supplement these.

• Like 1

Dear all,

Many thanks indeed for this very helpful feedback (inc. the identification details and URL link!).

Just on the 'what turns' question, yes, when I turn the crown, wheels A and B turn quite easily (in pic), and C seems to be some sort of backstop cog that also seems to work. The 'alarm' does seem to work if I manually turn hands past whatever time it's set to.

I guess it might be the mainspring, then (btw, when I wind the crown there's no movement whatsoever in the main spring (I'm assuming that coil on the L-H side in the pic is the main spring)).

Thanks for offers to guide me through repairs, but doubt I'd have the necessary skill, experience or tools to do this.

As it might not seem economically worth getting a professional repair on this (?), I might just put it on eBay as spares or repairs. 

Thanks again!

Watch annotated.jpg