Seiko 6309A Pallet fork not locking?

Hi there,

I am rebuilding a Seiko 6309A movement and have it all cleaned and mostly back together, however after installing the pallet fork I noticed that when I add a bit of power to the gear train the pallet fork oscillates back and forth without stopping/ locking. I installed the balance anyway and tried to get to run, but of course it will not run correctly.

Any ideas about what might be the issue here and how to fix it? 

I'm new and have not come across this before, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you,

Bill

OK, well I figured it out, one pallet stone was slightly out of place. Not sure how it got moved, clearly I did it somehow.

I was able to move it back into place and it works fine now. 

It felt like the stone was still held tightly, so I don't think I'll need to redo the shellac. 

• Like 1

Yes, I agree, I've never done that before, so I’m in research mode right now.  Looking at making a pallet warmer, hopefully I can just re-melt what’s there and that’ll tighten it back up.  

Edited by BillM

OK, So I made a simple pallet warmer and tried to re-melt the shellac, but the stuff just would not melt, in fact one piece came loose and I put that piece on a separate
copper plate and tried to melt it, it simply got darker and darker but did not melt.
So I guess I'll have to order some shellac and and replace what's on the pallet currently.
Great learning experience, sure hope I don't mess it up, LOL!

1D817873-81B1-4FEA-B8B8-14984B52E40F.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillM said:

So I made a simple pallet warmer and tried to re-melt the shellac, but the stuff just would not melt

It don't actually know but it's very possible that your pallet fork has epoxy not shellac. Because normally when heated up it should melt there can be variations in the quality a shellac but it should melt eventually.

8 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

It don't actually know but it's very possible that your pallet fork has epoxy not shellac. Because normally when heated up it should melt there can be variations in the quality a shellac but it should melt eventually.

Hmmm, ya I didn’t think of that for some reason, but makes complete sense now that you said it.  

I found this old container of flake shellac in my late fathers stuff and tried to melt it, strangely it will not melt, it gets soft and then turns to rubber and then just crumbles. 
I used a very controlled heat plate with a thermocouple, not just an open flame.  
it also does not dissolve in isopropyl alcohol. What the heck? 

8CD9B3D4-E597-424A-89A7-FD4056BBBFF1.jpeg

3 hours ago, BillM said:

isopropyl alcohol. What the heck? 

Isopropyl alcohol has amusing properties. If you look up on woodworking groups there are Some people that claim it will dissolve the shellac. But that alcohol is used as the final rinse as our cleaning machine at work and it does not dissolve the shellac. But I know the shellac itself very use even the watchmakers kind varies over time and because watchmakers acquirer old stuff that can be quite a bit of time were some is better than others.

My current favorite is one of the watchmakers locally purchased a pound or so of  flake shellac from the woodworking store and gave everyone a little bag of it. This stuff melts beautifully and flows really nice. You put a little chip on top of the fork and just heated up and it flows beautifully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dadistic said:

Different stuff than watchmakers use. To dissolve this, use ethanol, or denatured alcohol (ethanol with nasty stuff to keep you from drinking it).

Cheers!

I have some soaking in Methanol and it’s not devolving in that either.   

I received my new shellac today and ran some tests, this stuff melts great and works best at 110c-115c (made a new pallet heater too).

Everything went well, got bit too much on one stone, but it looks ok.
I left the original "epoxy" in place and just added new shellac at the back of the stones. (some shellac flowed over and around that old epoxy). The stones now feel tight and look ok to me.
I installed the pallet and ballance and everything is back up and running. 
Thanks for the help-
Bill

P1180004.JPG

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Post some pictures , some good close ones of the parts you've described. 
    • Ive never used epilame H only information i have read and mentally stored about it mostly from Nicklesilver here and elsewhere ( the fork horns thing ), maybe the residue powder that is removed has some grinding effect ? So probably a good idea to limit its application areas to only the absolute necessary. Yes as far as i know epilame rubs off relatively easy, the technique of running the watch to make a groove through it first in the pallet stones where the lubrication is then placed. This i understand creates the barrier for the lube to sit up to. If i can find a good balance of pros and cons of its use then thats one process i can avoid by using a thixotropic lube on the stones. The epilame i would say allows for a more fluid lubrication to be used that would increase amplitude on low beat movements. The stearic acid powder is extremely cheap, the problem is the fuming process to coat parts, is not selective , the whole part has to treated in this method. If epilame residue can cause wear then thats not good, if I remember the conclusion was not proved entirely just a general assumption between watchmakers. The thread is out there somewhere, the same discussion is also old on a facebook group. Ive never used epilame H only information i have read and mentally stored about it mostly from Nicklesilver here and elsewhere ( the fork horns thing ), maybe the residue powder that is removed has some grinding effect ? So probably a good idea to limit its application areas to only the absolute necessary. Yes as far as i know epilame rubs off relatively easy, the technique of running the watch to make a groove through it first in the pallet stones where the lubrication is then placed. This i understand creates the barrier for the lube to sit up to. If i can find a good balance of pros and cons of its use then thats one process i can avoid by using a thixotropic lube on the stones. The epilame i would say allows for a more fluid lubrication to be used that would increase amplitude on low beat movements. The stearic acid powder is extremely cheap, the problem is the fuming process to coat parts, is not selective , the whole part has to treated in this method. If epilame residue can cause wear then thats not good, if I remember the conclusion was not proved entirely just a general assumption between watchmakers. The thread is out there somewhere, the same discussion is also old on a facebook group. If its a potential problem for amateurs to use then i would prefer not to take the risk .
    • Following on from my question about identifying screws in the AS2063 movement that basically fell out of the case in bits, I’m pleased to report that I’ve got it all back together, and the movement is running pretty well.    But… There’s something wrong with the keyless works and hand setting. It’s fine in winding and quickset date position - these work - but in hand setting position winding the crown turns the whole gear train.  I don’t really understand how it’s meant to work. It doesn’t have a traditional friction fit cannon pinion.  The second wheel is unusual with a pair of smaller pinions on it, which seem to interact with the barrel and the motion works.    Could this be the problem? I must admit I just cleaned it and popped it in place when reassembling the gear train. I’ve lubricated the pivots but didn’t do anything to the extra bits on the second wheel.    Does this make sense and is anyone able to figure out what I’m doing wrong? Thanks in advance, as always.    ETA - the parts list calls it the Great Wheel, not second wheel. 
    • You're thinking metal to jewel in general I guess. Maybe it would be a good idea to peg the pallet staff jewel hole on the main plate after the epilame treatment. I think that could work as it is my impression that the epilame doesn't sit very hard, but I could be wrong about that so feel free to educate me. I didn't remember that 9501 was thixotropic (thanks for the link). That would mean it's even runnier during impact (lower viscosity) so perhaps it's time I get some fresh grease as mine seems a bit too runny. What I have seen is a whitish surface after washing but it goes away if I scrub the surface with a brush in a degreaser (Horosolv). I don't think it embeds itself in the metal but sticks very hard to the metal. I don't worry too much about the cleaning solution. I just want perfectly clean parts and my solution can be replaced for little money (ELMA RED 1:9). Anyway, I quite often need "to strip back and rebuild" and scrubbing parts by hand isn't exactly the most stimulating part of a service. Just got confirmation that Moebius 9501 has a lower viscosity (68 cSt at 20° C) than 9504 (305 cSt at 20°). The viscosity of Molykote DX is 285-315 cSt at -25° to +125° C. I was surprised to see that the viscosity of Moebius 9010 (thin oil!) is higher (150 cSt at 20°) than my 9501 grease!
    • I’ve had a couple movements where it is clear the previous watchmaker was diligent with lubrication but the old epilam had turned to a fine white powder covering the pallet fork and keyless parts, which can’t be good for parts. I’m spare with epi since I don’t know how long it takes to degrade to that state…