Hello All

Jantje

Hi everyone,

Happy to become a member of this forum, it has been a while since I was active in such parts of the internet. 
My name is Jan Borren, born in 1994 and since my 12th eagerly interested in mechanical watches. 
I live and work in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. 

My attention has been pulled in many different directions since I was young. The following interests all turning into obsessions at some point: taking things apart, bones, fossils, lighters, mopeds, graffiti, spud guns, watches, metal detecting and the handpan instrument. As I grew older some of these obsessions became more serious in nature.
When I was fourteen I bought my first pocket watch at a little antique store in southern Italy. It had an opened dial (Hebdomas), which made it possible to see a part of the watch’s escapement. I was mesmerized by the movement of the wheel, constantly moving back and forth. From that day forward I’ve immersed myself in the working of mechanical escapements, as a form of art in itself.

Steel runs through my veins, it is the material I love working with the most. For a short period of time I studied fine-mechanics where I learned to do lathe and milling work. There was a lot to learn there but I decided it was better for me to educate myself as I started dreaming about my own projects.

Since the end of 2017 I work in my studio at the NDSM in Amsterdam, purposefully continuing my former work, making musical instruments named handpans. Nowadays I am busy making my own mechanical escapement model named Wervelwind.

From time to time I come across this wonderful and educative forum, thank you all of you who has participated in making this platform such an amazing source of information. 
I'll be here now and than with questions of which I cannot find the answer yet. 

All the best, Jan Borren 

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-13 at 10.49.00.jpeg