Ebel Stem Capture

Sorry all,

I'm having trouble posting w/phone and tablet.

I'll start from the beginning.

The watch came into the store with the complaint that the stem is loose. I pulled the crown and both parts came out.

I dropped the movement/dial out of the case and looked for a screw to capture the inner part of the stem. As Geo stated,

there appears to be a detent to release the stem. That being the case, the normal procedure should be to pull the stem apart to remove the movement.

As you all know, on other models, there is a screw used to capture the stem. I wanted to be sure, if that detent wasn't for stem release, that there may be another method to secure the stem.

I could then complete the repair.

I feel there is more work under the plate.

I will also clean the stem to see if it needs replaced. It does look frail.

Thanks all,

Dave

P.S. Disregard post above.

Edited by DavePak

I do battery replacements on these monocoque Ebels regularly. As far as I'm aware all movement parts are totally restricted, hence why you're not being allowed to take it apart. 

The watch clearly took in moisture/water that has damaged the split stem, forcing it to come out as one piece, this action of it being forced out without the release lever being depressed probably means that the keyless work is damaged and it's not engaging again because of this. 

So it looks like the movement is damaged.
I don't think you're missing a screw, other than one of the bracelet securing screws on the back of the case?

It looks like it may, possibly be needing to go back to Ebel. (which will be expensive to say the least, they'll quote for full service, stem and crown, and a new dial.)

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Could be that the stem/crown assembly has collapsed a bit make it effectively shorter.

Try fitting the stem into the movement while its outside the case, you may need to turn/twist it while pressing it in.

If this works you need a new crown and stem.

BTW I dont think this is a split stem... I believe the threaded portion is just worn and the threaded portion has forced its way up.

HTH

Anil

Edited by anilv

I get the impression that the complete stem is pulling right out of the movement when it should still be locked in place, instead if separating as it should when pulled hard.

That's correct Geo.

Hi Dave,

Could be that the stem/crown assembly has collapsed a bit make it effectively shorter.

Try fitting the stem into the movement while its outside the case, you may need to turn/twist it while pressing it in.

If this works you need a new crown and stem.

BTW I dont think this is a split stem... I believe the threaded portion is just worn and the threaded portion has forced its way up.

HTH

Anil

I previously tried your good suggestion Anil. I still can't get the stem to capture.

I do battery replacements on these monocoque Ebels regularly. As far as I'm aware all movement parts are totally restricted, hence why you're not being allowed to take it apart. 

The watch clearly took in moisture/water that has damaged the split stem, forcing it to come out as one piece, this action of it being forced out without the release lever being depressed probably means that the keyless work is damaged and it's not engaging again because of this. 

So it looks like the movement is damaged.

I don't think you're missing a screw, other than one of the bracelet securing screws on the back of the case?

It looks like it may, possibly be needing to go back to Ebel. (which will be expensive to say the least, they'll quote for full service, stem and crown, and a new dial.)

I feel you are correct.

Thanks Ishima.

I'm not sure I understand you, but here goes. The 2 part stem fits into the watch in the same way as most, if you need to remove the movement you do so by pulling the stem as if you are setting the hands but keep pulling (some can be very hard to separate) but it will part. As it's a two piece stem the movement comes out from the front so you will next need to remove the glass, your pictures don't show any ring like you have with a Roamer watch, so I would think yours should just drop out, now you can remove the other part of the stem by means of a screw or a push in piece and the part will be able to be removed from the movement. You don't need to take the watch to pieces when it comes down to the two piece stem.

Sorry oldhippy,

There is a crystal secured with 5 screws. I didn't show this.