Setting Up A Loncase Clock

oldhippy

I've been looking on youtube and I have found this very good video on how to set up a Longcase Clock (grandfather clock) this is an antique not modern with a Westminster movement. I would like to say I have no connection with this person or his business. It is good it's the way I would go about the procedure and simply explained. I'm trying to add a little more to the clock forum page.

Link

• Like 1

I thought he would have mentioned how important it is to have the case level and that it should be screwed to the wall whenever possible to ensure sympathetic movement of the case doesn't happen. I would also have screwed the movement tight into the case.

Another very useful thing to know is how to set it in beat properly by bending the crutch.

I thought he would have mentioned how important it is to have the case level and that it should be screwed to the wall whenever possible to ensure sympathetic movement of the case doesn't happen. I would also have screwed the movement tight into the case.

Another very useful thing to know is how to set it in beat properly by bending the crutch.

He does mention that it could be screwed to a wall. The movement doesn't need to be screwed in side the case because of the weights they will stop the movement from moving, after all the movement is screwed to the seat board and in some cases the seat board is nailed down Yes the case needs to be level and how to bend the crutch is all to making the clock in in beat. Unless you know what you are doing bending the crutch is not advisable.

This is how a clock restorer shows how to bend the crutch.

Image from public website of Fusee Clocks in hints/tips page.

putting-in-beat.jpg

I wouldn't recommend any one  bending the crutch. Besides bending it to that extreme in that diagram its likely to break off.

Check first that the clock is level.

Then its best if possible to twist the whole movement to achieve beat. French slate clocks allow this movement with ease. I use a doctors stethoscope to aid with hearing the beat and the first move is to just tilt the clock to hear the improvement or worsening of the beat.

Then any bending of the crutch move little at a time.