Omega Seamaster dial repair (not refinish)

I am posting this in a separate thread even though there is another Seamaster dial thread...this is different.

In order to get a set of hands for this watch (originals were missing), and replace the broken sweep second pinion, I bought a donor. 

You see the broken dial and the donor dial.  The markers look and measure the same.  I am going to give the owner the option of using the donor dial, but they may want the original dial.

I think (?????) I can remove the markers from the donor and put them on the original.

Press fit?  Glued?  I do not know.

Anyone have any guidance on how to approach this.

2022-10-10 14_59_01-20221010_143751.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-10-10 14_59_16-20221010_143829.jpg ‎- Photos.png

Update.

The markers are trivial to remove.  Unfortunately, the distance between the holes is slightly different, and there is a notch in the marker on the donor dial--used to put lume.

So...I am now attempting to make replacement markers.  I won't put a post on them because that seems a bit hard.  Will glue them on.

Stay tuned!

Update

OK, so here is my first marker.  Not perfect, but to the naked eye, I think it will work.1201793922_2022-10-1111_14_31-20221011_111118.jpg-Photos.png.cd51d7f20bdd12c27f7b4f396a5225f7.png

159227843_2022-10-1111_58_33-20221011_115644.jpg-Photos.png.0fbc1c3c0b80c77b5ac97f17d6f1ad93.png

I thing good enough

• Like 2

During assembly, the hour and minute hands were too small.  I had taken them from a donor.  I measured the hour wheel and the cannon pinion of the original, and then the same for the donor.  The donor was smaller by 10um in both cases.  I did not want to modify the hands, so I put the hour wheel and cannon pinion from the donor on the serviced watch.  That worked just fine.

I am waiting on a crystal, so the watch is running in a holder on the bench.

2022-10-17 08_14_56-Window.png

BTW, I glued the markers on using GS Hypo cement.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.