Opening Raketa

Hi,

Photos attached of a Raketa I have that I can't figure out how to open. I'm not sure how clear the photos are, but although the back is proud of the case, there is no seam evident even under strong magnification. The crystal comes of easily but the movement can't be taken out the front unless the bezel is removed. Again there is no seam - I have tried running a razor under and nothing.

I have looked online and seen photos etc. of this watch, which appears to be a 2609A, but on these it is clearly a snap on case back. Any ideas?

Stephen

post-373-0-32574600-1434871727_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-47049700-1434871740_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-01271300-1434871750_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-48035900-1434871762_thumb.jpg

Hi Stephen - that really looks like a snap-on back to me - though you have the advantage of having it close to you. There's what looks like a clear seam in your 3rd photo down - and there appear to be scratch marks where others have faced your dilemma. I've got watches with very tight snap-on backs and I know they can be a b*gg*r to get off. You might try a scalpel (carefully) if a case knife isn't up to the job.

Logically, either the bezel or the back has to come off. As Holmes said, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the solution."

• Like 1

If it doesn't open from the front, then I'm sure it should from the back. If I remember and correct me if I'm wrong this is an old Russian made watch from around the 1980's time, if so Russian watches never had any fancy way of opening back then. This is a bit of a long shot and I can't think that it's the way but I'll mention it. have you tried pulling the stem too see if it is a two piece stem, if it is you then remove the glass and the movement will drop out. If you try it be very careful as damage can be caused. By the look of your photos you are not the only one to have had this problem it looks as if it has been tried by someone with a hammer and chisel.

I expect you will have more replies from those that are still working with watches, me I retired from this type of work years ago so it is just my memory that I have, at times that's not to good.

Good luck.  

• Like 1

Hi Stephen - that really looks like a snap-on back to me - though you have the advantage of having it close to you. There's what looks like a clear seam in your 3rd photo down - and there appear to be scratch marks where others have faced your dilemma. I've got watches with very tight snap-on backs and I know they can be a b*gg*r to get off. You might try a scalpel (carefully) if a case knife isn't up to the job.

Logically, either the bezel or the back has to come off. As Holmes said, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the solution."

Hi Will

Yes I agree, it looks like a seam. In reality it's just a line of dirt ;). There are scratches all over from what I assume are attempted openings, so whatever I do I'm not going to damage it. As you say, something must open it. I'll have a dig around the back with a razor blade, see if I can discover a seam anywhere.

Stephen

Edited by chadders1966

If it doesn't open from the front, then I'm sure it should from the back. If I remember and correct me if I'm wrong this is an old Russian made watch from around the 1980's time, if so Russian watches never had any fancy way of opening back then. This is a bit of a long shot and I can't think that it's the way but I'll mention it. have you tried pulling the stem too see if it is a two piece stem, if it is you then remove the glass and the movement will drop out. If you try it be very careful as damage can be caused. By the look of your photos you are not the only one to have had this problem it looks as if it has been tried by someone with a hammer and chisel.

I expect you will have more replies from those that are still working with watches, me I retired from this type of work years ago so it is just my memory that I have, at times that's not to good.

Good luck.  

Thanks for that. I did wonder about a two piece stem, but I don't think it will be the answer as there isn't the space to take the movement out the front unless the bezel is removed, and this can't be done. It does appear to have been attacked with various tools in the past, perhaps no-ones ever been able to open it ;)? Who knows, the inscription on the back might give a clue - if only I could read Russian!

Stephen

Thanks for the encouragement guys. A bit of digging around with a razor blade at the back uncovered the tiniest indent, now it's open. It's amazing how much damage others have managed to do trying to get it open, but as seems the case with USSR watches it's still running fine. They certainly made tough watches.

Stephen

Well done, some can be tough little nuts to crack. I don't agree with Russian watches are tough. Back in the 70's & 80's they were cheap rough and darn right fiddly when it came to some of the calendar work and the finish was terrible. Some were imposable to identify no markings at all or poorly stamped. I suppose a course in Russian would have helped.    

I'd agree that they can be rough and not well finished, but in my (limited I'll admit;)) experience Soviet watches certainly are tough. They seem to be able to take a beating and still work - perhaps because they didn't work all that brilliantly to start with. They're currently my favourite to work with as they can be picked up cheap and often have nothing but cosmetic problems, just like this one.

Stephen

I'm a fan of Russian watches too, I have a raketa of my own and also a chaika, my favorite is the raketa.

Anyway it's interesting what you said about scratching case backs, I'm of the opinion that removing press on case backs can easily be thought of by a watchmaker/jeweller/or anyone as a crude thing, requiring a lot of force and not deserving of their full attention and careful approach, and so they scratch the watch. I think you ought to give case backs your full attention and care, treating it the same way you would any other procedure during repair/maintenance. It is fair to say if you're going to damage anything, it ought to be the case-back, at least on stainless steel where damage can be removed without too much major work, and is ultimately invisible when worn anyway, but a watch should be treated with care at every stage. For someone to damage a timepiece they're working on, *sharp intake of breath* that shouldn't sit well with you if you take any pride in working on them.

Edited by Ishima

Hi Stephen,

I feel your pain. I recently posted a problem with a Hamilton Electric. Unlike your watch, I had a solid back. I had to remove the crystal but was timid about pulling the stem not knowing if it was a two-parts. While investigating, the crown unscrewed and permitted me to drop the movement out of the case. Geo gave me much needed advice from that point.

I've never even seen a Russian watch but have seen some where it really is hard to see a seam.

Congrats,

Dave.

Afterthought,

You may already be aware of this -  On stubborn case backs I've had an impact opener available that can jar the back enough to get it started. In my experience, this can be damaging. I've found that I only use it till I get a sufficient gap to use the knife.

Here's one from Essingler ( http://www.esslinger.com/horotec-snappy-opener-for-snap-on-watch-casebacks/ )