Ho Chi Minh Watch Seek

Just happen to be in Vietnam this week for a few days, scouting around for watches.

90d034669ba62ae36ff8e235a35ded5f.jpg

Can't find anything of much interest, millions of fake but I'm more in old unique watches. There are many old Omega but a bit cautious on it since there are many old fake.

ceef7339a6ad2bb4c39d9b80eaaafe42.jpg

Few shops displaying these make to look old Crystal Ball "Omega" at USD 50 each before bargaining. I did not bargain because I think they are not genuine. When few shops selling same item, it can't be real antique.

6cd575ddb1401bdf1eacf8e3c7619eb1.jpg

Junk street in Saigon, not many watches. Mostly statues and porcelain.

999e051f26cbe3cd1eb4fd7c46e1f4f4.jpg

This Wittnauer watch they asking 4000000 dong about USD180, should not be that price.

443a44283a1f1104392b2fe2b43fbd5a.jpg

Any one has any tip or familiar with Ho Chi Minh do let me know where to look for watches here.

Being a Tourist in District 1 is not a good place for reasonable price vintage. I can pick up better watches back home or on ebay.

Some enthusiast advise me to be careful of Frankenwatchs or some called it "United Nation Watches" due to mixed and match parts even in a Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fascinating stuff, Affnan - it looks difficult (from the photographs) to tell the difference between real and fake!

Those in the photos are real old watches but the price are steep for the condition it is in. The fake are mostly Rolex, Omega and other high end branded watches. A Seiko chronograph I think those 6139 they are asking for about USD 250, that is too much for it, even if I bargain he would expect USD 200 for it. The most I value it at USD 100, as a Tourist in Vietnam it is not a good place for watches.

But all is not loss, the wife and kids are very happy.. clothing are dirt cheap.. :) at 1/3 the price back home.

Welcome to Vietnam. I think its not a good idea buying vintage watches in strange place. Foreigner tourist are usually asked for much higher price. If you want to see, go to department stores. Also, here is a shop selling some luxury brands, mostly are used watches, address is 99 B Ly Tu Trong, Q1 ( District 1).

I am from Malaysia and what I've found is that watches that have been local from new have been thru the hands of 'bodgers' with a lot of parts missing/wrong. Similar is found in watches from other Asian countries and Africa. Since I discovered ebay, I have more or less ceased buying watches locally unless they're priced too cheap to resist!.

One thing in particular is the case clamps (where originally fitted) are usually missing.... ?!?!

Anil

I am from Malaysia and what I've found is that watches that have been local from new have been thru the hands of 'bodgers' with a lot of parts missing/wrong. Similar is found in watches from other Asian countries and Africa. Since I discovered ebay, I have more or less ceased buying watches locally unless they're priced too cheap to resist!.

One thing in particular is the case clamps (where originally fitted) are usually missing.... ?!?!

Anil

This is something for all of us to heed. Thanks for posting Anil.

One of the easiest ways of telling a fake from the real thing would be the hands. The fakes always had cheap looking hands, not refined, if it came with a bracelet that would be a giveaway rough around the edges not a nice finish not what you would expect on high quality watches. I don't know about today as even with fakes I expect things have improved.  

• Like 1