Flea Market in Texas

Hello All, 

I recently found out about the "largest flea market" in the world located in Canton, Texas. It is called First Monday Canton, and its only open the first weekend of each month (Thurs-Monday). The flea market is going to be open this weekend (July 28th - Aug 1st). I wanted to go and check it out, and see if there was anything watch and watch tool related. Before I decide to drive 4 hours (from my house in Austin), I wanted to see if any members are aware of the flea market, and if so, is it worth traveling up there to look for watch related items? I know a lot of members are located outside the US, but if there are any US members that are aware of the flea market I would love to hear from you. Are you planning on going? Have you been there before? Are you setting up a booth?... etc etc... Please feel free to send me a message. I did call the venue to ask, and the lady I spoke to told me they have so many sellers they dont keep a list of who is selling what. 

I am just trying to get some info as to whether its worth my time to drive the 4 hours up there to check it out. 

thanks, 

-Drew

Thanks, WW 😃 

I was planning on taking my family with me. I told my wife she should go and see if there were any little gems she could find. That seemed to work. LOL

I might just bite the bullet and head up there, just to say I went. Worse case, we waste a lot of gas (still not too keen on that though..), and have a cool story to tell later. 

If I go and we find anything cool I will take some pics and post them to the forum. 

Hey Drew!  I am just a few miles S of you.

Canton has been on my list for a long time but now is not the time to go (Scott Fischer sez so).  I went to Roundtop, I dont know, maybe five years ago.  I was not into watches at the time but I remember a whole table of them...wish I could go back in time.

The Wimberley flea market is the first Sat of every month.  I went a few months ago and did not find anything horological in nature, but stuff changes a little from month to month.

I missed your intro, otherwise, I would have introduced myself by now.  You in N Austin or S Austin?  Do you work in the tech industry there?

Hey LWS, 

I am in N Austin, and yes I work in the tech industry. LOL

I tried to check out the flea markets here in town (Cedar Park, Austin Country and the one in Kyle). None of them had anything horological. I was told that they used to before covid, but none of them came back afterwards. 

I have never been to the Wimberley market. I will look into that, and see when the next one is. 

When would be a good time to go, and how do you know the time is right? 😃 I am still so new to this, so I am trying to soak up as much info as I can. 

Do you know if there are any horological "shows" that happen in the area? I was thinking it might still be pretty niche here, and might have to look around Houston and Dallas. 

Thanks for introducing yourself, and the tips. Looking forward to touching base more. 

-Drew

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Hey LWS, 

I am in N Austin, and yes I work in the tech industry. LOL

I tried to check out the flea markets here in town (Cedar Park, Austin Country and the one in Kyle). None of them had anything horological. I was told that they used to before covid, but none of them came back afterwards. 

I have never been to the Wimberley market. I will look into that, and see when the next one is. 

When would be a good time to go, and how do you know the time is right? 😃 I am still so new to this, so I am trying to soak up as much info as I can. 

Do you know if there are any horological "shows" that happen in the area? I was thinking it might still be pretty niche here, and might have to look around Houston and Dallas. 

Thanks for introducing yourself, and the tips. Looking forward to touching base more. 

-Drew

Wimberley "Market Days" at the Lions Field is the first Saturday of every month from like April to maybe October. 

The NAWCC meets at Pokey Joes every month on a Sat.  I have not gone because it is such a long drive from here.

I retired from the Tech industry (semiconductors) in Austin back in 2008 but still do some consulting.

Frankly, there is a lot of noise in this whole search process.  I found a watch bench full of stuff in New Braunfels, found a staking set at an antique store for $50.  Picked up a Seth Thomas E701 Westminster electric for $6 at a resale shop in Kyle!

Are you interested in just watches, watches and clocks, watches/clocks/tools?

Picked a 400-day and a pocket watch in Lockhart (paid more than I should have perhaps)

Are you a member of the NAWCC? I would be interested in that, if i can make a meeting. I am guessing the Poke Joes is the one in Austin (Parmer)? I just looked them up and they have a pretty cool deal for first time members. I might even get my son to join. He has been going with me to the flea markets. The Wimberley flea market seems like a nice one if they have anything horological. 

I am mainly interested in mechanical watches (pocket too), and watch tools. I have not really got into clocks, yet. I am also looking for just really cheap stuff to practice on. I would like to get my confidence up before I dive into anything expensive. I dont want to mess something up and not be able to fix it. 

I would be very interested in places to go look. Little out of the way places that might hide some hidden gems. I take it there are a lot of cool places to look at outside of the Austin area? I dont usually get south much. I am from Houston so I am familiar with the 290 route, and see several antique stores along that route. Ive got the bug now to try and find some stuff. Brings back great memories of my dad and I going to all the flea markets around Houston. 

Edited by Drew

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Are you a member of the NAWCC? I would be interested in that, if i can make a meeting. I am guessing the Poke Joes is the one in Austin (Parmer)?

Yes, I think the next meeting will be Aug 20.  I get an email announcement the week before.

I will send you a PM with my contact info.