Identifying Correct Balance Staff

Hi guys,

I've had a rummage around the forum and found some useful info' on balance staffs in general but wanted to know how I can establish what staff I need in the absence of any markings on the movement? I can measure the length/wide approximately but after that how do I know the correct type of staff?

The watch in question is a ladies pocket watch cylinder movement without any markings circa 1880 I'd guess and the balance is snapped. Unusually well above the lower pivot. In essence it's practically broken in half. I'm guessing the replacements for these aren't readily available but is there a way I could tell? If I know the size of the movement, does it stand to reason that another cylinder movement, of the same size and similar construction, will use the same size/type of balance staff?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Jono 

You will need to take as many measurements as you can from the old staff. Then establish if it is a friction fitted or rivet fitted balance staff. You will almost certainly have to make one on a lathe. It is highly unlikely you will find a replacement ready made. The only other way is to find a donna movement