Jump to content

Brand New Member - found Grandfather's Elgin pocket watch and want to repair it (maybe)?


mpaar

Recommended Posts

Glad to find a friendly forum out there !  Nice !

My Grandfather's pocket watch details follow:

- Egin (front face)

- Screw bezels

- Wadsworth Special, 4121127 (inside rear cover)

- Omega movement, 15 jewels, adjusted, 2 postions, 5375626 (movement face)

The watch operated if I place is at a specific angle face down.  Any other angle and it stops.

Best Regards,

mpaar

 

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5284.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mpaar said:

Egin (front face)

 

7 hours ago, mpaar said:

Omega movement,

Are we talking about two separate watches here? I just seeing pictures of an Omega I don't see the Elgin?

7 hours ago, mpaar said:

The watch operated if I place is at a specific angle face down.  Any other angle and it stops.

Possibly a broken staff definitely needs to be cleaned and probably a mainspring. Is this going to be Your first watch or would you like a suggestion of something safer to start with?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mpaar said:

Glad to find a friendly forum out there !  Nice !

My Grandfather's pocket watch details follow:

- Egin (front face)

- Screw bezels

- Wadsworth Special, 4121127 (inside rear cover)

- Omega movement, 15 jewels, adjusted, 2 postions, 5375626 (movement face)

The watch operated if I place is at a specific angle face down.  Any other angle and it stops.

Best Regards,

mpaar

 

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5284.JPG

Hi mparr. Can you give us details of your backgroung with watch repair. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi  and welcome to the forum, like John I see only an Omega P/w and a nice one too. that watch is too good for a beginners to tinker with as said by John. Advice I would endorse.    What you can do though is to check it out via thepocketwatchdatabase.com site using the serial number. it will give you th year and grade and much more.

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Possibly a broken staff definitely needs to be cleaned and probably a mainspring. Is this going to be Your first watch or would you like a suggestion of something safer to start with?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...