An old look for Longines

Hi peeps. Hope you are all well. Just wondered about anyone's thoughts as to this new old design that Longines are using. Always loved this 50s 60s look but wondered why they are using  it 🤔. Who is thinking of the same reminiscent brand and dial design that i am ? Looks cool and i think first time in a mid level brand ( not that have much respect for the swatch group but as a specific brand I've always liked Longines )

20220702_122249.jpg

20220702_122229.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi NEW, looks like the old smiths empire and ingersol models retro but I think it has a certain charm getting away from the futuristic designs multifunctions we dont use and getting back to telling the time. I for one like it.

Yes WW. Spot on . I was thinking an Ingersoll Triumph Pocketwatch. Its almost identical in dial design. Same thoughts here, how many ? i wonder chronograph owners actually use that function on a regular basis or even at all. 

I have several watches I wear on occasions and only two have the chrono functions, both were presents. I cycle the chrono functions just to keep them moving on occasions but not worn on a regular basis. the others are just plain watches with day and date, at my age thats all I need, I have stopped clocking myself at 1/100 of a sec.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

I have several watches I wear on occasions and only two have the chrono functions, both were presents. I cycle the chrono functions just to keep them moving on occasions but not worn on a regular basis. the others are just plain watches with day and date, at my age thats all I need, I have stopped clocking myself at 1/100 of a sec.

Never WW. If you are like me when that call for dinner is ready I'm off to the table like a shot. 🙂

4 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I like that look!  A lot!  Usually, pocket watches are more my thing, but if I wear a wrist watch, THAT ^ is typical of the style I'd go for.

Its nice isn't it . Watch weasol you and me have very good taste 👌. Its part of their heritage classic collection called the Tuxedo.  I want one 😆.  Around £1600

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

I like it. I love a sub-second hand. 

I can't find it on the Longines website. Do you know the model - I want to see the movement.

The Heritage collection Mike.

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/longines-heritage-classic-tuxedo-mens-swiss-automatic-l23304930-p-59636/?correct_country=222&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA-bmsBhAGEiwAoaQNms3ZIkYSsgb0jvNJgNioVNUO6B46jjcgcQmpFHJLv6pQ6BUZT_OOMxoCVikQAvD_BwE

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

10 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I don't like it, I  like sub seconds, I  like  two tone dials but for some reason it doesn't work for me.  Personal opinion of course. 

I agree. I like the Wittnauer I posted with the gold and creame (with patina as well). For those that don't know the Longines-Wittnauer connection here is the inside of the caseback. Ca. 1960 with an AS1585N movement.DSCN56762.thumb.JPG.71a383d689171a74b3c17e093dda81f4.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi. Either style is great, simple uncluttered and nice to look at.  Like them both.

Me too, there are very few brands that i would buy a new watch from, and would never knowingly hand over good money to any part of the Swatch group, Unfortunately Longines are, so my money will be spent on a vintage watch who's original design they ripped this off. Now this !  This is sheer timeless beauty on a piece of crap.

Screenshot_20231230-014405_eBay.jpg

The L893.5 is a modified ETA 2892 cosc certified to -4/+6 seconds per day and a 38.5mm case and 25500 bph. Mine is 33mm, 18000 bph, and was $2100 cheaper; not saying it is a chronometer grade but keeps pretty decent time...probably can get a little better amplitude but the crown is so small you can't get a decent purchase to achieve a full wind either. And its not a swatch...20231229_1737222.thumb.jpg.86df3e0ad8cf0df4de0572b0d145587d.jpg

Edited by Razz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Razz said:

The L893.5 is a modified ETA 2892 cosc certified to -4/+6 seconds per day and a 38.5mm case and 25500 bph. Mine is 33mm, 18000 bph, and was $2100 cheaper; not saying it is a chronometer grade but keeps pretty decent time...probably can get a little better amplitude but the crown is so small you can't get a decent purchase to achieve a full wind either. And its not a swatch...20231229_1737222.thumb.jpg.86df3e0ad8cf0df4de0572b0d145587d.jpg

Much nicer Razz and so is the history. Wittnauer originally a new york watch importer, in particular Longines evolving into manufacturing and then apparently sold to Longines in the 50s. I would assume yours is before Asuag got their hands on Longines and finally absorbed in Swatch.

21 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

-4/+6 is chronometer grade.

👍 but Razz's watch is not. 

• Like 1