Finally, My Personal Watch Project...advice Needed!

DJW

I'm finally building a watch for myself and need some advice on what the dial should look like.

It's a 48mm case with a Hamilton 4992B movement with the center sweep second hand(24 hour movement that I converted to a 12 hour movement by swapping out the hour and minute wheels). I really like it because it has the large sweeping seconds!

I cannot use the original dial in it's current configuration as it is still a 24 hour dial that needs to be a 12 hour dial. This is where I would like some input for you all!

I ordered some Blued hands that are about the same style as the original one that are in the pics just in case I decide to totally change it up and go with a more classy look. But, I also like the look of the Military dial as well and can use the original hands too.

Any option has to have an outer seconds chapter as that is why I bought the movement anyway. This is the primary reason why I won't be painting the dial myself as I can paint images, but would not even attempt to paint something so uniform as numbers and markings....

And YES! I do have spindly wrists!

post-90-0-74578000-1394398489_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-54303900-1394398490_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-82735400-1394398491_thumb.jpg

I have one of these - I can't imagine changing the dial on it - the dial's an integral part of the history of the watch as far as I'm concerned.

Just my 10c worth... :hair:

I agree and will not and have not modified any of the original parts of this watch. I am keeping everything together with the original case.

But, I really cannot use this dial in its current config without modifying it. So I will be making a dial to fit and would still like to know what would look the best...

You know. Personally I would swap the hands back and keep it a 24 hour dial, that thing looks like a true pilots watch, stunning.

If you really do want to change to 12 hour though then I would go military of some sort as a case that size on your wrists in white would look crazy big and just washed out I feel.

Having said that, keeping it 24hour just makes this watch look amazing and the white hands perfect!

Can you turn the dial so 24 is at the top? Sorry if thats a stupid question, I have no experience of these things but seeing as there is no date I wonder if it is possible? 

I can see your point about usability in the present configuration

Edited by ianmedium

I can turn the dial by re soldering the feet...but I really don't want to modify the original parts. I can have a copy of the dial done and re install the original minute and hour wheel but I just don't know if I van get use to the 24 hour format.

But, you are right, it does look amazing with this dial!

If it's any help I had a 24 hour dial watch once and was worried I would have trouble telling the time switching between it and a normal dial. Funny thing is my mind adjusted really quickly to reading the 24 hour dial.

I think looking at the style and ethos of the watch a 24 hour would be great if you could get one made. Ultimately though you have to be comfortable with it so if you could get a twelve hour dial made to look like this one it would be a winner I think! The main thing is this style just looks so good, I love it!

If it's any help I had a 24 hour dial watch once and was worried I would have trouble telling the time switching between it and a normal dial. Funny thing is my mind adjusted really quickly to reading the 24 hour dial.

I think looking at the style and ethos of the watch a 24 hour would be great if you could get one made. Ultimately though you have to be comfortable with it so if you could get a twelve hour dial made to look like this one it would be a winner I think! The main thing is this style just looks so good, I love it!

You know, I think I'm going to switch it back to 24 hour format. You guys are right, keep it looking as original as possible...

And it is quite a conversation piece to have to explain the format!

I really think you made the right choice! There is so much that is right about that dial and I think it's worth the little amount of extra effort involved to read it, after all, if it were just about reading the time we would all be walking round with a digital casio!

OK, I did what I said I wouldn't do...I modified the original dial to fit in the right orientation. I figured re-soldering the dial feet was not that big of a deal and can be reversed if ever needed. I'm just waiting on a new domed crystal for the display back as the original flat crystal would not clear the second hand pinion bridge. I have the original plastic pocket watch crystal installed on the back temporarily.

I have to say...This is my favorite personal watch by far!

post-90-0-36068500-1394556031_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-13177700-1394556035_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-28443600-1394556038_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you must know, I have to walk around with my hand made into a fist just so my watch doesn't slide off! B)

Seriously, I'm so happy with the results, I am thinking of building another for whomever (***Insert name here***)